Y&R vs Knots Landing

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the start of the Carmen Mesta murder, it was doing in a similar direction as the storylines of both Ciji and Jill...How so?

Based on what I read, they were all having some sort of event on KL and everyone was either wondering where Ciji was; only to find out that she washed up to shore dead...A long list of suspects; starting of course with Valene the jilted wife, Gary, the cheating husband, who was drunk at the time; and several other people who were linked to her.

As for the Jill storyline on KL....similar situation....Gary had a thing for Jill, but Valene wanted him back; he broke things off with her; she didn't accept it, and tried her hardest to torment Valene....Same scenerio....Gary or someone found Jill dead, and of course a long list of suspects including Valene and Gary were in the midst...

I swear at times Latham thinks she's back in the mid-eighties and thinks she's on that show rather than a soap opera that had a long-valued history among soap fans.

Someone also pointed out that Peter Bergman's Jack Abbott is similar to that of William Devane's Greg Sumner....power hungry, went into politics...

I don't know where Abby Cunningham Ewing would fit it, but reading the history of her, i wouldn't consider her a female verision of Victor Newman.

• Members

Latham was on the show from 1985-1991 rising through the ranks pretty quickly to EP status with her husband. To be fair she wasn't around for the Ciji mystery (which was in 1982) but I definitely see the similarities.

Apart from the Jack Abbott thing I don't see any similarities. The stuff she's writing on Y&R is really trite soapy trash with back from the dead characters etc. The stuff on KL was light years away from that and had a much greater emphasis on character. I can't imagine her having done anything remotely like the Pheila plot on KL. The irony is that it was the classy, sophisticated, down to earth primetime soap of the late 80s. Just as Y&R was the daytime equivalent until she took over.

Archived