Who do you want to replace Jean Passanante as HW of ATWT?

• Members

I think Chris Goutman is a good executive producer but needs the right writer. Loved the early Goutman/Sheffer era at ATWT. Goutman has been EP for 8 years now with the show. The actors adore him, so I doubt he will exit. I would love to see Jean P leave the show but Goutman loves her that is the problem. JP just celebrated six years at ATWT. She was co-head writer for four years and head writer for over 2 now. I would love to see the Cullitons take over. RC wrote great stuff at ATWT years ago and Carolyn is fantastic with ATWT history. She knows the show and history very well. Carolyn is responsible for training Hogan. Hogan has said Carolyn was totally the person who helped him become a better writer.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Peter Brash would be a great choice! He just started as dialogue writer and his dialogue has been superb. I love Vienna when he writes her.

And Carolyn Culliton has a good track record with this show. Hogan started sucking royally after she was booted in 01.

• Members

Chris Goutman has always been a bad choice, it was just harder to realize that when ATWT was winning awards left and right. He first tried to change the show into Another World, then into a homogenized ABC Daytime soap. I'd rather see him go than Passanante.

• Administrator

If I had to choose between Goutman or JP, I'd choose the Goutman. I think Goutman needs a good head writer to work with and he also needs to loosen up that tight grip he has on ATWT right now. When Goutman/CCulliton/Sheffer were all working together as a team, the show was on fire. That was a great combo.

• Members

Passanante has a lot of bad ideas (as opposed to the general "blah" under Sheffer), but she also has some really good ones and I *love* how the show has a lot of stories going on at once (as opposed to the two stories at a time under Sheffer.)

She does recycle a lot though. I'm torn. Half the time I love her and half the time I hate her. But I can't imagine P&G or CBS being happy with her with these ratings. Does anyone know if writers have contracts like actors do? Would they have to pay a fine if they released her before her contract is up? When would that contract, if it exists, expire?

• Members

I think her contract expired in July, so I am assuming she just resigned again, I hope I am wrong though and one of these days we will get a surprise news headline reading that she has been replaced immediately with ??? One of the things with Jean is that her stories take way to friggin long to tell, for example a kidnapping should not last 4 weeks, and we should not hear about Gwen's baby's name for 5 shows in a row, just makes for a boring soap. Plus yes she likes to repeat storylines over and over again, never much of anything original, except Luke and Noah, and they probably had to break her arm to tell that story, so far that storyline is going well I hope she does not screw it up because at this point Luke and the few storylines he has had have been the only good things JP have produced (Luke's coming out storyline, and then Nuke).

And lots of mistakes in regards to fan favorites, she broke up Carjack and it seems like she has zero plans of really ever putting them back together again, hence those ratings will never be back, she got rid of Lusty, it might have bored me but they had there fans and most of them have stopped watching. And then she turned the show into the Gwen Munson show and it has not been back since then, 85% of fans are sick of Gwen and want her back burnered and what does JP do write two more storylines for her at the same time, being pregnant, and now Cole/Iris. Not to mention she needs to write for the vets better, take for example Susan she is drinking again, but where the hell is she???? its been over a week since she has been on. And then I don't even want to get into what she has done to Lucinda, yes I love the airtime she is getting but to be one upped by Meg Synder of all people that is just bad writing, Lucinda doe not just lay down and take it she fights for what is hers, so far I don't see her fighting.

Archived