Can You be Gay And Christian?

Southofnowhere

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is like asking if you can be a Democrat and a Christian.....which I am.

I'm not gay, but I don't see why they couldn't be Christians.

And don't worry or feel embarrassed....it's not a dumb question. Those types of questions are the ones that are not asked.

:)

• Members

No - not a dumb question at all.

I come from a very conservative/religious area (Bush-land), and I've had to deal with a handful of closeted Christians who have the same troubles as you. They are constantly told by people who don't understand homosexuality that it isn't Christian to be gay, therefore you can't be a Christian in the eyes of God if you 'choose' to be gay. Well of course that is BS - no one can deny your relationship with your God.

But like I said, I know so many guys (a maybe a few girls) who have/are dealing with this same situation, so you're not alone. I personally know that being gay in most cases is not a choice, it is something you are born with genetically, and God would never deny anyone that is born gay.

LOTS of years have passed since the Bible was written. You can't take everything in the bible literally and still apply it to today's world. If we did that with the Consititution, without all those amendments created along the way, then America would be in major trouble.

• Members

I have had trouble with it at times as well (23 yo here), I am from a military family and live in the south, thankfully I'm in Austin now which is like an oasis in the state of Texas...there's so much tolerence and diversity here it's incredible. It's so not a dumb question, every once in a while I still ask myself the question just to refresh the answer in my head!

Kade

• Members

Southofnowhere,

Never let anyone have that kind of control over you. If you are living a peaceful lifestyle full of good friends and people that care about you for you, To hell with what everyone else thinks. Live your life to the very best you can, and God will judge you on that. Besides, if there is anyone saying that you cna't be a Christian and be Gay, ask them this one question.....

If you are straight, and live by the teaching sof the Good Book......are you perfect? Or will I find skeletons in your closet that will fill up a cemetary?

Be proud of yourself for sticking to your values and living the good life. And let the rest be truly damned.

JMO. :)

• Members

Southofnowhere, I think it is a very good question and one that a lot of people, both gay and straight struggle with. The underlying question is How can you be a good Christian and lead the kind of lifestyle that you lead.

The Lord Jesus Christ accepted everyone. He accepted lepers, prostitutes, tax collectors and people who were in debt (who in those days, were the biggest sinners and were looked down upon the most). It doesn't matter what you are as long as you live by his word. To not only preach tolerance but be tolerate. To accept everyone. To give a helping had when it is needed. To literally give the shirt of your back if needed. To be kind to all of those around you, whether they are a different race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. Ad yes, you will make mistakes, but that is when you ask forgiveness and if in your heart, you truly mean it, you will be forgiven.

In a long about way...to answer your question, you can be gay and Christian. I believe Jesus made everyone. So of course you can be a follower of his. So basically, if you are a good person, regardless of your sexual orientation, all is good.

Archived