How Long Do You Give The Soaps?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My thoughts exactly. As severe as the ratings decline has been, there's still no viable alternative to soaps on daytime. That's why networks are exploring new methods to tap into their revenue potential (eg. product placement, iTunes etc.) rather than simply cancel them. The fact that NBC is pulling out reflects more Zucker's personal preference than the profitability of soaps. I predict that unless someone explicitly anti-soaps takes over at ABC or CBS, all of their shows will still be around in 5 years. DAYS & PASS are obviously a different story and much will depend on the success of the DirecTV experiment.

• Members

And Fronzie is so pro soaps, his ego feeds on their "success", so he'll never quit on them. As for Barbie at CBS - I think she genuinely likes the genre, but lacks the ability and vision to overhaul it.

• Members

In his own way he's doing as much to destroy them as he is to promote them. Actually I could say a lot worse about him but I'm not in the mood. Your comment about EGO will suffice for now.

• Members

The man is a completely bizarre being somewhat. He loves the soaps, but he keeps destroying them. I don't know what his boss Steve is doing, but he should check on him a lot more. And fire him, possibly soon.

• Members

Don't toy with me!

But as it is things seem to be less than idyllic in his little fiefdom. Nothing lasts forever, BriFats.

At one point I wasn't certain the ABC soaps would outlast his tenure but I'm almost optimistic now; even confident that my viewing habits will continue for at least a few years beyond his "liquidation" (sorry, that's as kind as I can be).

I can't let myself get carried away here; too many fantasies of who will be following him out the door.

• Members

I think soaps will be around until they come up with a viable alternative to daytime soaps.One can only stand so many game shows , judge shows and talk shows.If DAYS' ratings improve maybe they'll still be around even if NBC doesn't want it.

• Members

This is how I see it going down, and I'm not saying this to start a fight. It's my opinion

NBC will cancel DAYS in 2009

ATWT/GL will stay on the air until DAYS is cancelled in 2009 at that time CBS will cancel ATWT/GL and DAYS will move to CBS to air directly after B&B. CBS becomes the #1 daytime network in demos, HH, and viewers

ABC soaps will still intact

2009-2010 Daytime Schedule

CBS

12:30-1:30 - Y&R

1:30-2:00 - B&B

2:00-3:00 - DAYS

ABC

1:00-2:00 - AMC

2:00-3:00 - OLTL

3:00-4:00 - GH

NBC

1:00-3:00 Today All Day :lol:

• Members

CBS and P&G are fully committed to ATWT even though both GL and WT are a package DEAL!!! The reason why GL lasted this long is because of WT...Now IF P&G decides to cancel WT alone with GL, I see both companies working out of a deal and selling WT to CBS..That way we'll see MORE lame crossovers between WT and Y&R..(UGH) As for the Days, why would CBS replace GL with with another cancelled soap??<--doesnt make any sense but I predict cbs will have three soaps as their lineup

CBS

12:30-1:30 - Y&R

1:30-2:00 - B&B

2:00-3:00 - ATWT

ABC

1:00-2:00 - AMC

2:00-3:00 - OLTL

3:00-4:00 - GH

Archived