How Long Do You Give The Soaps?

• Webmaster

There are so many things that can be done to turn the soaps around, beyond just a writing or management change. I won't list what in fear of having my ideas used :). If they thought beyond the norm the soaps could last longer than some are anticipating, but nothing will change because no one wants to make any changes.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Webmaster

Well first, anyone reading this better note that these ideas are under Copyright Protection by me :)

(some may not like my ideas, but it is something)

BREAK UP THE SOAPS INTO MINI-SEASONS

Years ago, NBC took "Days of our Lives" and "Passions" off the air for two-weeks due to the Summer Olympics. Why not do this for the soaps each year so that it can build anticipation for a storyline coming to a close and one just beginning?

REMEMBER THE FAN BASES

End the cross-overs. It seems to have been forgotten that a majority of the soaps had their own fans outside of another soaps fanbase. Currently with the cross-overs (especially at ABC Daytime), the networks/studios assume there is just one group of soap fans. They should be reminded that the fantasy of one soap is probably all some fans want to live in.

BRING ON MORE SOAPS

Some will say that the only way to bring on more soap operas (if that were to ever happen) would result in the cancellation of another. In light of "Night Shift," why not launch a summer soap to air on Fridays? Bringing on something new and fresh on Friday's would help soften the ratings blow the networks are facing on what was once known as "Cliffhanger Friday." Air any soap four days a week during the summertime and you could A) Save money on the shows budget, without having to fire anyone (hopefully); B.) Air more daytime programing without insulting the current fan bases (hopefully).

DUMP "ON THE NEXT..."

When people know who and what will be driving tomorrow's show, they won't watch. If you are having a major event and someone falls onto the floor appearing dead, and the next minute someone sees the preview for the next episode and the person is alive and well, why bother watching at all? You lose any anticipation a viewer may have had to watch the next day.

THE DAYTIME MOVIE

With "Carpool Guy" from Corbin Bernsen, and a number of other independent films with many of today's soap stars appearing, why not air a "Daytime Movie?" You can air new programming without disturbing the flow of a storyline (especially if played on a Friday), and keep your top stars on the air each and every week.

SOAPS ARE NOVELS IN CYCLES

When a writer writes stories, it is understood there is a beginning, middle and end in mind. It is also understood that you have an umbrella story with a secondary story and all other storylines being intertwined with both storylines. However, the concept isn't being followed by the majority of today's writers. It seems you have one story idea today, another tomorrow, and then another here or there. Stories are dropped and fans feel cheated, even if they hated the story. Use the telenovela idea without changing your whole show around.

FORCING NEW CHARACTERS ONTO VIEWERS

Bring on new characters without immediately giving the actor playing the role a full contract. Over the years, you find yourself with untalented actors that viewers have to watch learn how to act. To prevent this, hire the actor on a recurring basis and then when storyline dictates, give them a full contract. Just because there is a long-term idea for a character, doesn't mean they should be thrown in our faces from the word "go."

If you want more, I can go on... :)

• Members

won't list what in fear of having my ideas used>>""

I see you did list them. But why on earth would you not want them used if you think they would actually improve things?

I'm not sure the cross-overs hurt anything. At one end people who don't like them can just ignore them. At the other end they might get viewers to tune into another show and get hooked. Either way they're so small and so little happens on them they can be easily ignored.

I'm all for cutting down. Breaks might help. I still think the hour soaps need to get cut back to 1/2 hour both because of the economy of timing improving quality of what's left and because so many people just don't have time to sit through 5 hours a week. Or worse a full schedule of shows every day 5 days a week.

I have a horrible feeling they aren't going to be bringing on new soaps because what's on already isn't doing as well as they'd like. I think we'll see more court shows, talk shows, games shows, anything BUT soaps filling up any available airtime.

Don't you think part of the problem with the new characters might lie in poor casting rather than simply being a matter of a lof of on-screen presence all at once? I do think there are some very poor casting directors out there. Especially ones casting young characters on soaps. Either that or it may be idiotic network executives saying "oh hire that one because she looks good" or whatever.

• Members

Or as in the case of a couple of Y&R actors, one I assume was short-term, the other ongoing, they should hire established actors with track records so they know ahead of time what will happen. I'm thinking of Nia Peeples & Tammy Lauren in particular.

I like some crossovers. But I get very annoyed if there's no real point to it.

I haven't had time to watch either of the P&G shows lately. I can't squeeze much more into my day.

Well the only way you'd get credit for ideas is to get the shows or networks to hire you in some capacity. I'm sure that isn't an easy thing to have happen.

• Members

This is the point that speaks to me the most. When I first began watching soaps it seemed, on the better ones at least, that there were several stories brewing at once in various stages of their development. Some were winding down post climax, some were just beginning, some were at a middle stage where a richness of detail was leading to a climax, not always THE climax, but one of a few leading up to the big reveal/confrontation/inspeakable act. The best writers knew how to intersect storylines for the benefit of each.

There wasn't a climax each week or month that was quickly and easily forgotten. Characters who'd just been through the wringer were given down time to mourn or lick their wounds or even experience the more boring side of happily ever after. Their story had ended for a while and when their next storyline came around, they came in armed with experience and growth, or damaged and traumatized, from the previous one.

And yes, I used to walk 10 miles to school each day, in the snow, barefoot, carrying a slate.

Archived