3 newbies that we dont care about leaving OLTL

• Members

The contract thing isn't an equal thing. New stars have a very different contract now at ABC, which is more a "pay when you work" contract, not a guarntee to get paid for X number of shows a week regardless of what is worked. So it's really not a trade off.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Carlivati doesn't have the authority to get rid of actors. That's strictly a Frons/Valentini call. The most Carlivati could do is submit reasons why he wants to write out certain characters. If the higher, higher ups don't approve, then he's stuck writing for them.

Also, it isn't the newbies (if you can even call someone like Paige a "newbie" at this point) that caused the departures of PC and REG. TPTB wanted to resign REG, but didn't agree to the conditions that her camp put on the table, and in turn her camp didn't back down...and so she left. And as for PC goes, IMO his departure was inevitable. It had been looming for years. Back in 2004, they tried to get him to go on recurring status, but he refused and they caved. This time, though, they didn't.

As far as Andrea Evans goes, with Passions being picked up for Direct-TV, I heard that she was staying. Her stance has always been Passions first.

• Members

I sure hope since ONE LIFE has a new head writer that ONE LIFE will end up reconsidering basically firing Phil Carey(ex-Asa) and Renee Elise Goldsberry(ex-Evangeline) and hope they make a wonderful offer to Andrea Evans to return as Tina Lord, so that she'll leave PASSIONS. C'mon Andrea leave PASSIONS, ONE LIFE is a so much better show and Tina such a better role, Come Home!!

I'm a little saddened that Chris Beetem is being axed. I liked him as Jordan on ATWT and thought his character was interesting. There are rumors that he was hard to get along with and was fired. Sorry to see Randy Mantooth go to, since he's such a good actor. But makes sense to axe him since he's connected to Tate. Looks like both are members of One Pure People.

I'm sad to see Alex Neil(Paige) go. I've come to really like her as Paige. But if Paige's axing ends up giving Bo, Nora & Lindsay more airtime then that will be really great. I do like Nora & Lindsay a helluva lot more than Paige.

• Members

No way!!! While she would be great on either show, I find Passions to be much more enjoyable than One Life.

At least I'm not the only one! :lol: I wish they could've just put her on recurring status so that she could be the doctor to everyone and maybe not have a story all the time. That way, everyone could win!

• Members

This is overall great news, but I don't get the clamor for returns. Returns are the last thing a new headwriter should focus on when they first come on. They should work on refocusing the canvas first, otherwise, the show can;t actually recover from it's decline. Old faces won't fix the problems.

• Members

I don't think returns are the first thing that need to be done, but OLTL definitely needs a cast revamp and that shouldn't mean newbies. The recent writers have been extremely disrespectful to the core of OLTL and that needs to be fixed.

I'd like Cassie, Kevin, Kelly, Tina, maybe Cord and some others to return. These characters are actually needed and could give current cast members lots to do. The Cramer family could really use Cassie and Kelly especially.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jun 6 2007, 10:55 AM)
This is a great first step, but there are so many more than need to go! nuMarty (unless Haskell returns) and I think Cole and all of those talentless teens need to go (except Langston). Scale Starr's story back and give her something family related. She's too young to carry her own story, IMO.

Also, Vincent needs to go and I'm sure many more but I don't watch OLTL regularly so I don't know all of them. I'd keep Layla (finally give her something to do), Talia, Nash and really thats probably it.

We need more legacy characters returning and the vets need to be front and center! If it weren't for these newbies Renee Goldsberry and Phil Carey would be on contract! This is why it is VITAL that you remove a crap headwriter. Once these actors are gone you may not be able to get them back.

I really like Christina Chambers as Marty, but that said I'd welcome Susan Haskell back if she returned. I have grown to like Brandon Buddy(Cole), he's gone from about mediocre to good now. I agree that the teens need to be scaled back though. But I'd keep Starr, Cole, Langston & Britney and maybe Amber, so Britney could have a pal (btw I think Portia Reiners is doing a good job as Britney). Phil Carey & Renee Goldsberry most definitely need to be brought back pronto.

I agree about Vincent. I'd also axe his bodyguard Sean, Miles and his hooker friend and Nash, maybe Michael & Marcie after the Todd/Tommy thing is played out. I'd put David back on contract too.

I sure hope Clint gets his REAL personality back under Carlivati too. This pod Clint is stupid. Clint would've never dated or had sex with Dorian in the first place with what she's done to Viki & Jessica and the rest over the years. I also hope Cat Hickland(Lindsay) gets put back on contract as well.

I totally agree with you about Higley!

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Jun 10 2007, 05:37 AM)
I don't think returns are the first thing that need to be done, but OLTL definitely needs a cast revamp and that shouldn't mean newbies. The recent writers have been extremely disrespectful to the core of OLTL and that needs to be fixed.

I'd like Cassie, Kevin, Kelly, Tina, maybe Cord and some others to return. These characters are actually needed and could give current cast members lots to do. The Cramer family could really use Cassie and Kelly especially.

I think that returns are MOST DEFINITELY needed on ONE LIFE, especially Asa, Kevin, Tina, Cassie, Evangeline & Kelly. Maybe alter down the line Cord, CJ & Max. In fact I'd just start off with Asa, Kevin & Evangeline. Later have Kelly, Tina & Cassie & Max return. Drop some more people to make room for them.

• Members

My concern about an influx of returns is, while it could be good to beef up the core families, I'm concerned with the current financial state of soaps today. Mind you, soaps seem to find mounds of cash out of nowhere, but still. I'd be more concerned with the current canvas- bringing Bo, Nora, Viki, Clint, Dorian all to the forefront, or at least actively supporting in a way that nods to history and not to a writer's agenda. Because, if that doesn't happen first, what good will returns do?

• Members

LOL, Ryan, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

I never quite got interested in Tate's story. I had nothing against Chris, in fact, I thought he did a good job, but I just couldn't get myself interested in yet another new character. Not to mention, the whole Rex trying to out him storyline was just bad, and it really made the character of Rex (who is one of the few I actually like) look really bad.

As for Paige, I liked Alexandra, but if Paige leaving Llanview means we'll finally start to see that Nora/Bo/Lindsay triangle we were promised, I'm all for it!

Now all OLTL has to do is get rid of the other 10 or so characters I hate and I might be able to enjoy a full week's worth of shows LOL.

• Members

Making room for the McBains and Willaimsoms, DH/FV/BF ripped apart most of the existing families. The Buchanans are down to Clint, Bo, Matthew and sometimes Natalie, not the appealing clan with crochety Asa riding herd. The Kramers are down to Dorian and Blair -- Adrianna is neither fish nor fowl (Santi-Vega or Kramer). Viki's main purpose is to lament over her daughter's plight, and it's rare when Natalie/Jess even remember they are sisters. By choosing Dorian, Clint effectively separated the Lords/Buchanans. Gannons are gone, Williamsons ironically down to Layla. McBains are back to the two brothers with one wife -- and there is some speculation Mike and Marcie will be cut after the Todd, jr. reveal.

They will probably cut many of the newer characters who just aren't working. I don't think the show can continue to just push and prop not working characters. CC's Marty is not working as a lead, and Cole is too bland for Starr. Even giving John an insta-family isn't really tying him to the canvas, just isolating him further. Vincent has little purpose now within the OPP, and none outside. Layla is just as connectionless. I suspect Miles may get sacrificed as a psychotic villain for the November sweeps stunt. I suspect the TV Guide blurb about MG leaving had a grain of truth, and Ravenbeauty is talking about a male lead leaving as well.

This should free up some money, but I doubt OLTL has the budget for much. I suspect both TSJ and ME now get relatively huge salaries: hence REG was no longer affordable, and I suspect Carlivati was promoted as a desperate stopgap. THey don't have the budget to get a known new headwriter. Even DH must have been bargain basement.

There will be new faces on canvas. The major issue is will they provide and enhance story for Viki, Clint, Doria, etal, or will they become the story, as Spencer did? With Valentini and Frons still calling shots, I really doubt we'll see a sustained period with the older vets on the frontburner. Too many new faces too quickly got them into this mess. It probably will take an infusion of both returns and new characters to pull them out.

Archived