ABSOLUTEY SHOCKING Phenomenon

JER Soaps Fan

• Members

I had no idea about this SCANDAL!!!

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Watch it. You'll be glad you know about this issue. PROMISE!!!

Edit: For additional videos in documentary (full documentary IS posted on YouTube), click on the box after video is done.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was just mortified when I first saw the film. I mean, this is something I would NEVER think about. I saw the documentary two nights ago and couldn't stop watching. I even watch the UPDATE to the documentary, which also is posted on YouTube, in its entirety. (Or at least three parts I think.)

SPOILER SPACE

I can't believe BRANDY actually served as a "face" for one of the korean companies. Talk about being a traitor! But then again, you have to give her the benefit of the doubt. It's not like this is a very well known issue. Perhaps she didn't know.

It really makes you think, though.

• Members

And? What's the big deal? It's not a race thing, it's a supply and demand issue. The Korean's found a market, and they're taking it. It's not about taking money from African American's or their businesses, it's about making money. It's the American way. I'm not saying it's right, or that it's not crappy, money just makes the world go round.

• Members

It's not a big deal in owning these companies but it is a big deal when they are intentionally shutting out african americans in the market. I don't understand why they have to lie about products not being in demand when they are, if they had any integrity they would just say that we don't want to buy your product anymore because when can make it for cheaper.

• Members

I get that. And I think it's shitty. But it's business. It happens all the time. I don't mean to sound unfeeling or anything, and I get it, and I think it stinks, I've just had to completely adjust how I view the world with the major I picked in school. So while I think it does blow, put in the same position (business wise) I'd probably do the same thing.

It's how the American system works.

• Members

OK< I've seen enough...

I'd, for once, love to see a headline that didn't say "shocking" or "scandal" in your pages. It makes the thread pretty misleading, IMO.

Also, I didn't even know this was really a big deal, but I don't think the target demo of this story was about hair care products for African-American men.

I think the only African-American "beauty" product I even use on my hair is Ultra Sheen Hair Pomeade(the stuff that comes in a green plastic jar). And unless I've had my haircut, I don't even use it then because I'm that low-maitenance and would rather wash and wear. Maybe Ultra Sheen is a Korean Company. LOL. I use the Neutrogena T-Gel Shampoo, which is a major dandruff lifesaver(but that isn't from an A-A owned comapny). But I know and have seen lots of men wear do-rags to bed and do all the maintaining necessary to keep their hair looking good. I'm just so low-maitenance, it doesn't even really matter to me.

• Members

LOL, no offense, but do you live under a rock? It's not shocking, it's buisness. It's not a matter of race, it's a matter of knowing where the demand is and captializing on the supply. That's all. Supply and demand. They'd more then likely do it other Korean's, or other Asian's. It's just business.

Archived