Soap Opera Openings

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm sure no one anywhere will agree with me but I love that disco themed Guiding Light opening.

And I'd never seem Capitol or The Doctors, but what great openings!

Of all the oldies Matt posted, barring the ones I'd already seen, that one for SOMERSET with the town being "painted" was the most fascinating. Love the name of the show, love the opening, just wish I knew more about its history.

• Members

I'm not going to blame you, actually I agree with you...a little. I liked the closing theme better than the opening theme to GL's disco opening. Anyways I thought the opening was quite genious if you ask me. GL wasn't so much as a action packed show back then(Compared to ATWT and GH in the early 80s), but the opening made up for it and it helped grip some of the viewers into watching.

• Members

lol JSF, now you see where I'm coming from. I'm not sure that YouTube has it, but there is also a version of the opening with the same music, but different clips (Such as Lujack and Beth on the beach, India talking to someone by the pool, showing the lighthouse.)

• Members

Matt you are a prince!

and MichaelGL, I agree. The GL Ubront closing was better. It's true it was more about Nola's fantasies back then - the action came later (or GL 's version of it came later). When we lived with our Dad in Europe, that NOLA period of GL was big stuff in Italy and France about four years later.

...stilll can't get over that "painting the town" opening of SOMERSET. I love it.

• Members

Oh, aMLC, I couldn't agree more. The first time I heard the song, I thought, "CANCEL THIS SHOW!!" lol -- but now, honestly, I'm obsessed with it. It's HAUNTED my thoughts for the past two days straight. I can't get it out of my head because it's so beautiful, intriguing, dramatic, romantic! It's all things that are right and beautiful in the world, and yet, all things that are flawed...it's SO soap opera. Oh, GOD, help me! I just "can't get you out of my head, SONG you're all I care to think about ... GL, your '80s theme is ALL I think about!!!"

• Members

I once thought the original "My Guiding Light" was so overrated, but now I absolutely love it and I think it deserves every bit of the praise it gets. It's dramatic, gripping, and I love the end, how big it gets. The various remixes were all good, but nothing beats the original.

And "Guided Lightning" (the disco GL opening) is so AWESOME. The closing is better than the opening, though.

• Members

I don't know HOW you guys just know all the names of these songs? "My Guiding Light"? "Hold Onto Love?" Honestly! Does "Days" have music with a title I've never heard before, like "Just Let the Sands Go Through the Hourglass" or something equally as not on the nose as these other titles? I just am so frustrated by all of this! I want to know what "My Guiding Light" and "Hold Onto Love" are so I can judge them for myself, but I don't know what they are~!

• Members

the 1975-1981 Guiding Light theme was title "Ritournelle"...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

the 1982-1983 Guiding Light theme was titled "Guided Lightening"...

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

the closing version...

the 1983-1985 version of the Guiding Light theme title "My Guiding Light"...

">

the arraingement of the theme changed from orchestrated to synthasized in 1985 and stayed that way until 1986 when a new opening and a dance/pop version of "My Guiding Light" took over...

">

while the same visuals continued to be used, the mix of "My Guiding Light" was changed back to a version that was closer to the original 1983 version, while still slightly synthasized in 1989.

a brand new opening and theme song titled "Hold on to Love" premiered in 1991...

">

this theme was remixed, briefly, into a jazz version for a few months in 1995 before changing over to a more pop/rock mix which lasted until 1997 when Paul Rauch butchered it and shortened it to only this...

">

this short opening stayed in place until 2002 when this opening debuted. It's is affectionately known as the "50 Years on TV" opening...

">

In 2003, the opening was changed to this mess featuring a new theme titled "True Light"...

">

Finally, in 2005, the opening and theme were changed to the present version (not counting that hands thing for the 70th anniversary). I'm not sure the exact title of this theme...

">

Archived