DAYS: TV Guide interview with Judi Evans

• Members

Soap Diva Judi Evans Reacts to Getting Axed by Days of our Lives

by Daniel R. Coleridge

How much do we love Judi Evans? She first charmed soap-opera fans in the mid-'80s as troubled teen Beth Raines on CBS' Guiding Light. She only got better with age, as evidenced by her delicious decade as Paulina Cory on NBC's Another World in the '90s. Evans is now as sexy, vivacious and hilarious as ever in her role as gold digger Bonnie Lockhart on NBC's Days of our Lives (where she previously played Adrienne Johnson Kiriakis). But if she's so faboo, why is Days dropping Evans after her contract expires in early February? The sassy suds vet reacts to the news and shares her candid views in this TVGuide.com interview.

TVGuide.com: I'm disappointed that Days is letting you go. That bawdy Bonnie is such a breath of funny, fresh air.

Judi Evans: Oh, thank you. It's what's best for the show. At this point, they need to scale down and focus on [core characters]. Bonnie is very entertaining, but, while the audience is entertained by her, I don't think they tune in to see her. I knew there were budget cuts coming. As a producer myself, I figured that if they were gonna trim the fat, Bonnie would logically be one of the first ones to go. I totally understand and agree from a production standpoint.

TVGuide.com: Not all actors would be so sweet about it!

Evans: I love [Days' executive producer] Ken Corday so much. Whatever's good for him is good for me. I totally consider the last three and a half years on Days a gift. I think I've been very lucky, and it's been a pleasure to work there. Being on a soap is a great gig, especially as a working mom. I can be an actress a couple of days a week and spend time with my son, Austin.

TVGuide.com: I'm hearing that your contract expires in February, but they're not even close to writing you off the canvas yet?

Evans: No, I don't think so. They may need to use me a couple of days past my contract, which would be awesome. They're going to have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming anyway. [Laughs] So the longer I can be there, the better.

TVGuide.com: Sounds like we can plan on seeing you on the air at least through March.

Evans: Right, I would assume that. Things could always change. You never know!

TVGuide.com: After Bonnie lost Mickey to his not-so-dead wife, Maggie, Days gave her Alice's Bar and got her involved in Patrick and Mimi's lives. Now Bonnie's secretly scheming to control Victor's grandchild. That seemed like a long-term story prospect for you.

Evans: You know what? I honestly don't know. Actors usually don't have a lot of knowledge beforehand as to where they're going to go with a story. For instance, Bonnie's involved with this skeleton that Mimi found — I didn't know who it belonged to, and I still don't know how he died!

TVGuide.com: Well, Judi, you're gorgeous and you steal every scene that you're in. If Days needs to "cut the fat," I could think of several others who should go in your place. They oughta marry Bonnie off to Victor!

Evans: Oh, thank you! [Chuckles] Yeah, I love John Aniston. Maybe we could have a little triangle with Abe (James Reynolds), Bonnie and Victor!

TVGuide.com: Did you say Abe?!

Evans: Yeah, he's gonna need some lovin', too! Anything is possible on Days. Stefano has risen from the dead how many times?

TVGuide.com: Good point. Got any other gigs in the works?

Evans: I've been writing and producing for a company called Greenlight Entertainment Partners for the past month. That's been real helpful as far as opening me up creatively. We're doing a TV show called Trailer Court Justice that will hopefully air in the spring.

TVGuide.com: Trailer Court Justice? Is this for real?

Evans: [Laughs] Yes, it's real!

TVGuide.com: Do you actually have to live in a trailer to be on the show?

Evans: No, no, it's not reality TV! It's fictional, but the cases are based on actual court cases. It's sort of like Night Court. I'm writing and producing, but I'll also be playing a female truck driver, kinda like Large Marge in Pee-wee's Big Adventure!

http://www.tvguide.com/News-Views/Soaps/QA...C-BD5787C8E922}

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fabulous interview. She's incredibly gracious and understanding.

Like the inteviewer, though, I can think of a few others who have less purpose than Bonnie. And I find Bonnie to be one of the most entertaining characters on the show, as well as Judi being one of the most entertaining actresses.

I'm so upset about this!

Archived