2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Administrator

Thanks for the links, Jay. :)

Yay for Jeanne, but it's too bad she got a boring first episode to write. LOL But I guess that's to be expected - giving newbies a slow episode to start with.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, long lost sisters and Lynn Marie Latham is their cousin.

Richard I just think gets ATWT, probably alot better than he "got" AMC. I like the episodes better when he is the SW. They flow better and are more in tune with what I think ATWT is all about.

But maybe Richard is best suited for the script/breakdown role..... anyone is better than J-Piss though. Goodness, I wouldn't wish her on my worst enemy.

• Members

I don't see reason why he should be heading there. He has no history with OLTL and hasn't even been back at ATWT for a year yet. I doubt he'd be quick to jump ship that fast. In the past, he's rarely ever worked with Carolyn too, so I guess they prefer to seperate their personal and professional lives.

• Members

Richard was already the head-writer for ATWT from 1994-1996, which was generally a mixed bag for the show. In fact, Richard's head-writing stints have a history of receiving mixed reviews in general.

In fact, ATWT had a history of bad head-writers in the 90's, after Douglas Marland died. It wasn't until Felicia Minei Behr came in and hired Lorraine Broderick did the show stabilize. Then that idiot Chris Goutman replaced her with the horrible Leah Laiman, which was a total disaster. Then, the show had a triumphant comeback with the Hogan/Carolyn team.

I still wonder why Laiman's on the ATWT writing staff though, along with Passante, she's pure poison. In fact, Laimain and Passante have a history of working together. They've worked together on OLTL, AW, and ATWT.

• Members

I honestly think his strengths are in dialog and structure. Absolutely the flow of the episodes changed once Culliton took over from Passanante, and the dialog was crisper -- but the overall storytelling left a lot to be desired. He rewrote history at the drop of a hat (Ryan wasn't a Lavery, David rescued Maria from the 1997 plane crash even though he was supposedly in California at the time, Trey Kenyon was Richard Fields and Vanessa Bennett's son and Kendall's half brother, Richard Fields -- who had a British accent -- suddenly sounded just like Trey when he was supposedly younger...), he brought on so many characters, yet did absolutely NOTHING with them (Maggie, Tim Dillon, Aidan, Frank Hubbard...), and what's more, the stories were redundant and endless, showing very little movement (Proteus, Anna & David, Is Maggie Gay or Is Maggie Straight, Kendall's tormenting Erica...).

And I won't even go there about the cartoonish, wacky events... okay, I will. Erica's circus of a murder trial; Liza shoving Mia out of the attic window; Leo and Vanessa "dying" via the nosedive off Miller Falls -- where Leo's jacket was recovered, but his 6'6" body wasnt?!?!

Oy! :rolleyes:

But, again, I think his strength is definitely dialog. The show had a sense of humor that was witty, but wasn't smug and self impressed -- much like a current script/breakdown writer we all know and I ABHOR!

Archived