DAYS: Full J/M Article from SOD...

KLN

• Members

Saw this posted at SoapCity:

Days: Return To Me

Marlena faces her toughest battle yet with John when she learns that his brain will never recover from the effects of being shot by EJ. "It's new for her to be in this position," points out Deidre Hall, whose alter ego is usually the victim of one of Stefano's schemes. "You get to see who she is at her core. She's strong and determined and she doesn't surrender."

To that end, Doc Evans refuses to believe that her husband won't come back to her. "She doesn't give up on him and doesn't send him away to the happy rest home. She knows that there's still a John in there," says Executive Producer Ken Corday." Adds Hall: "John's always been her strength. He's always been the person who never gives up, and she's been in plenty of situations where people might have given up on her. She has a an immediate slide into, 'It's not so. You don't know his heart. You don't know his will to live. I'm not buying it. You don't know him.' She's fighting an uphill battle against health care professionals and she's relentless about it."

Marlena just might know her super spy a little better than everyone else: Bo and Steve come to visit John's room and when John hears Steve's voice, his blood pressure goes through the roof. While Marlena and Steve talk, John's hand moves slightly, trying to touch Steve, but neither notices. "Oh, he's in there," nods Hall. "The audience will see that first."

Once alone, Marlena falls asleep. She has a dream that John is trying to communicate with her, but can't get through. "When she nods off to sleep, she whispers, 'come to me,' and he does," previews Hall. "There's a thing we do best, which is that romance that is so deep and profound that it crosses lines of normalcy. And they shot it brilliantly. She feels his presence and it's just a warm bath of love. He connects with her and you see it."

This is just the first of many "dream" sequences between the two. "It's beautifully written," Hall praises. "My favorite scenes are in the middle of the night, when the world is asleep and the shades are drawn and important things happen in the quiet ways. This is that. There are no witnesses; it's just the real thing."

These "talks" won't just be about John and Marlena, reveals Corday. "He actually tells her some things in the dreams that are far bigger than who just shot him," explains the exec. "This will have an impact on other people of Salem."

By week's end, Roman persuades her to go home and get some rest. Once she's gone, John manages to whisper her name. And this just the beginning, says Hall. "There are scenes coming up where you'll be like, 'I'm on board. I'm staying for this,' " declares the actress. "This is how he will communicate with her; it's just so romantic."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sorry. Sounds just like JER to me. Just like his attempts to make Belle and Shawn a supercouple with the dream sequences after the barn in the hospital and at the hospital with Claire when they both dreamed the same dream with Zack talking to them and telling them that Shawn was Claire's father. Hated it then and hate the idea now, but Hogan can maybe do it in a better light. It's still sci-fi and not normal.

• Members

I can buy the mental telephathy story though without it being in dream sequence. I know that this works for real. The President of the company I worked for was very telepathic. If his next in line and I needed him, we just sent him thoughts to call and in a few moments, he called and asked what we needed and that the truth. He had a sixth sense about many things and it nothing to do wit romance, but pure telepathy. It's the romance thing that irks me. We all know they are special so why ruin it with aritficial scenes. Just let it be a normal enlightenment within Marlena when she is feeling John. It's like (I am guessing) when a husband dies and a wife can "hear" him because she actually knows him so well, she knows how he would respond. I think it would be more interesting for Marlena to figure out things that she picked up on and when putting those through her "John brain" comes up with answers.

• Members

Depending on how they write and shoot it it could be a way of showing that sort of thing. When awake Marlena's stressed out with everything going on, but when she gets a chance to rest he "comes" to her and she figures things out. It's just more visual, a way of trying to show that internal dialogue. As a bonus, John/Marlena fans get some romantic scenes while the characters are split up in reality. I agree that it's similar to Reilly, except he relies on fantasies and dreams to excess and this, hopefully, is a one-off.

I like that Hall is always so positive when things are starting out. It's neat.

• Members

It's romantic. Period.

The story is that love can go so deep that you can reach each other no matter what the obstacle. It's not sci-fi. Dreams are used as a vessel to communicate with people. Sometimes they tell you something about yourself and sometimes you have a dream about someone trying to tell you something. It's not crazy.

It's an awesome story for J&M fans. It has a bit of a out there tilt to it but it's a sensible one. It't not a JER plot. Not even close.

I can't wait to see it.

• Members

I think it's insanely romantic. She's forced to decide whether to let him go forever, or keep him possibly on life support for the rest of his life, and in that desperation there he is, in her dreams. Totally romantic. They're not just lovers, they're soulmates and they're best friends. No one knows John better than Marlena, and the other way around. So dreams makes sense. They've had this before, where he knew she was alive and where she felt his prescence.

I don't know what others belive in, but IMO, dreams are so much a part of who we are and often represent the truth of what we feel and want. There is so much more between heaven and earth than we know.

Archived