To viewers of Aussie Soap "Home and Away"

SnCCorinthos4ever

• Members

To those of you that watch I am sure that you would remember a character name Rebbeca Fisher that was played by Belinda Emmett.

You would also know that she left the show after discovering that she had breast cancer at the age of 24.

Belinda passed away just after dawn on Saturday morning aged 32.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...432-661,00.html

Rove thanks Aussies

Grant McArthur

November 13, 2006 12:00am

GRIEF-stricken Rove McManus has thanked Australians for their messages of support after the death of his wife Belinda Emmett.

The TV star said he was deeply touched by the heartfelt outpouring of sympathy after losing the love of his life.

"I want to extend my sincerest thanks for all of your heartfelt messages and condolences," McManus said yesterday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TELL US: Post a tribute to Belinda Emmett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That Belinda meant so much to so many people, genuinely means a lot to me."

McManus has cancelled his TV variety show for the rest of the year, saying he needed "some time away" to deal with his great loss.

"At the moment I have no plans for Rove Live for the rest of 2006," he said.

"This is a very difficult period for all of us and some time away is the best thing for me right now."

Emmett, 32, lost her battle with cancer at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital on Saturday. She died with Rove and family by her side.

Her family has asked fans and friends to donate to the McGrath Foundation instead of sending flowers. The foundation was co-founded by Australian cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his wife Jane, who survived breast cancer.

Molly Meldrum last night said Rove and Belinda were an inspirational love story.

"The strength of both of them and the love they had for each other was just an inspiration, I think, to every Australian," he said.

Comedian Dave Hughes said he was devastated by Emmett's death.

"Everyone who knew Belinda knew what a wonderful person she was," he said.

A visibly upset Marcia Hines paid tribute during last night's Australian Idol.

"I am proud to say that she was in my life and I am truly going to miss you sister, girlfriend," she said.

Fans also offered condolences on the Herald Sun website.

"Belinda was an inspiration to all and a very strong woman who will be remembered for her fighting spirit and positive outlook on life," Anastasia Fantini wrote.

Many of Emmett's showbusiness peers, including singer Delta Goodrem, were too upset to speak yesterday. Goodrem, who battled and beat Hodgkin's disease, was inspired to write the song Be Strong for Emmett when she was diagnosed with secondary cancer.

Emmett was admitted to hospital on Monday and is believed to have suffered stroke-like symptoms. Details of her funeral have not yet been released.

In recent months, McManus spent much time in Sydney where Emmett was recording an album.

Emmett appeared on Home and Away between 1996 and 1999. Diagnosed with breast cancer in 1998 when she was 24, she had surgery to remove the tumour, followed by weeks of radiotherapy.

She was diagnosed with secondary bone cancer in 2001.

Emmett and McManus met in 1999 and married in January 2005.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived