JackFM: Anyone Listeners?

R!ck

• Members

I was flipping the dial today and noticed the oldies station had been replaced by a new radio station called JackFM. They pride themselves for "playing what they want" and "not taking requests"

I googled the station and it's available in various cities in the US and Canada. Kind of like XM radio without the sattelite.

I listened for an hour and they sure do have an eccentric playlist to say the least. I heard all of these whitin an hour :lol:

Lou Reed

Olivia Newton John

Marvin Gaye

Nirvana

Juice Newton

C&C Music Factory

Pearl Jam

Rolling Stones

Cyndi Lauper

Culture Club

Black Eyed Peas

Mamas and the Papas

Anyone else listen to he station and what's your thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I only like rock music. I try to stay away from pop as much as possible.

I'm not a fan of hip hop or country.

I couldn't handle a station like JACK cuz I'd be flipping the dial too often.

If you're constantly having to change the channel then the channel was no good to begin with. JMO

I'd rather listen to my player than the radio. Most of the radio stations play a lot of crap that I'm not interested in. The only time I listen to the radio is when the alarm wakes me up in the morning. The radio is a lot less annoying than the buzzer.

If they play whatever they want and they're not listening to their audience, then eventually their ratings will hit rock bottom and all the advertisers will pull out. Then the station would have to be sold or re-formatted anyway. JMO

• Members

I disagree, Meredith. By not taking requests there may be an untapped element of surprise for listeners who enjoy an eclectic playlist, where you never know if No Doubt will be followed by Frank Sinatra who is followed by Michael W. Smith and Kenny G. I think it's an idea that's worth exploring.

• Members

I thought that too Meredith, but after researching the station, it's actually steadily growing. It's mostly taking over oldies or classic rock stations. My local JACK affiliate has become the #3 station in the city in just a few months.

Most definitly Jsf

I now have JACK programmed in the car, my living room stereo, and my clock radio

I was listeing today and I'm jamming out to Lionel Richie's All Night Long and the next song to play was Nirvana and right after that Celine Dion :lol:

I love this station.

• Members

There is a JackFM station in Nashville. They replaced the oldies station here too.

The oldies station switched to another station a week later,same crew.

I listen to the station sometimes but I perfer oldies.

We have a "LiteRockFM" here too.

You'd think in Nashville the country station would dominate but they don't really.

• Members

JACK replaced WQSR in Baltimore and I thought that move sucked. WQSR was a great oldies station and they had some of the best on-air personalities I've ever heard. I actually like to hear DJ's, they bring some liveliness to the broadcasts. I'm not a fan of Top 40, so this is why I either listen to my playlist, Lite 102, Smooth Jazz 104.3, or my local AM radio station, which also does oldies. I also listen to WSOX, the oldies station out of York, PA, and some out-of-state stations online, like LOVE FM in Chicago, which plays Motown, disco, and R&B/dance from the 80s and early 90s.

I wish Maryland would put together an all dance format like New York's WKTU , but we have too many rednecks around here and it wouldn't be successful.

• Members

That reminds me of Joe FM. I'm not sure if that station takes requests or not but they play everything..mostly leaning towards the 80s and some 90 and now music.

Also..this station here called 102.9 Sonic started about 2 years ago and played all kinds of indie rock plus mainstream rock (mostly indie, though), 90s rock, they have Frank @ 5 everyday where they play a Frank Sinatra song...I remember all my friends raving about it. When I finally decided to check it out, I couldn't stop listening to it. They played bands like Limblifter (a band that almost never gets played on mainstream radio)! :D They don't have a countdown based on requests but on something else (have never been home to listen to it so I don't know how it works). They had very little commercials. Unfortunately now, they are going way mainstream. I hear stuff like Simple Plan and Hinder (aka bands I strongly dislike) so I'm not so into Sonic anymore. :( I mostlly discover music through word of mouth or seeing opening bands perform at live shows now.

• Members

Rick, I listened to Jack FM more than any other station when I lived in Nashville. Now that I am in Knoxville though one station has 80's, 90's, and todays music and I listen to that a little more than Jack FM. I really dont like much of todays music.

• Members

I get JackFM here ... it replaced an 80s/90s music station. I'm apparently not listening at the right times because they sure play some crap music. I do hear a good tune every now and then. I usually listen to my local current hits station (Wild 95.5) or the oldies station, LOL, or the country station. I'm such a mixed person when it comes to music.

• Members

We have a station like that here and it is called Bob FM. We listen to it at work and it suits everyone's musical interests.

Before I was transferred, my other office played ethier Oldies or Country and I hated it. Not because I hate these genre's but the local stations I swear only play like 20 songs a piece so I heard the same songs over and over again.

Now it is totally random and I think it is awesome! :D

Archived