ATWT: Martha Byrne Article From the Daily News

• Members

A Dead Sister Act?

by Carolyn Hinsey

The power goes out at the hospital this week on "As the World Turns", lighting the way for the return of beloved heroine, Lily Snyder.

"Lily wakes up during the ice storm and mysteriously ends up in the chapel," says Martha Byrne (Lily), who is just back from maternity leave. "She thinks Rose took her there. She's having visions of Rose. As far as the audience knows, 'Here we go again!'"

That's because when Lily's twin sister, Rose, died, Lily had visions of her then, too.

"She has this mysterious feeling when she wakes up from her coma," says Byrne. "Kind of a twilight thing. You don't know if Lily has lost it or if she is really getting messages from her sister. What I like about it is that the audience doesn't know what Lily's mental state is. Is she able to remember?"

Considering that it was a fight with her son Luke that sent the pregnant Lily careening down the stairs that put her in the coma in the first place, she may not want to remember.

"Lily seems fine," says Byrne. "She is taking in information. She is not grieving her sister because she doesn't remember that her sister is dead. Her husband Holden has to tell her all these things that happened. She had a baby and she doesn't remember!"

Holden doesn't seem too concerned that his wife doesn't recall a little think like giving birth. "Holden is just happy she's awake," says Byrne. "He brings the baby to her and tries to get her to remember. It's very emotional stuff. She sees daughters Faith and Natalie and the baby, and it doesn't take long."

But there's still something off about her.

"She tells Holden she is seeing Rose," adds Byrne. "He is supportive. Twins have a bond whether one of them has passed away or not. It's very important for Lily to fulfill Rose's wishes and look for her real daughter, because Rose is unsettled and in turmoil. Her daughter needs to be found and looked after."

Does Lily remember that Jade claimed to be Rose's daughter earlier this year?

"She remembers Jade, but she doesn't remember that Luke is gay - conveniently," says Byrne. "It all has to be addressed and it will be. But it's not like there was a lot of joy going on before she fell. Some things you want to forget!"

http://p205.ezboard.com/fbeautifulprosefrm...ic&index=66

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why do we have to go through this mess of finding Rose's daughter? Isn't obvious the writers are going to make Jade the missing daughter of Rose. :rolleyes:

As for her not knowing/remember Luke is gay. :rolleyes: Let's move on with the Luke's storyline. It is the best thing ATWT has on right now.

• Members

I know I may very weel be in the minority, but Martha Byrne works her ass of every single day portraying Lily and I am so ready for her to return. I know people hate her character and such, but that's not how I feel.

I think it's Emmy bait for a surpreme actress who has the whole package, has been acting her ass off since she was 5, and is a marvelous human being.

As far as Lily/Rose/Jade/Theresa...I think this is needed. Besides Lily going off the deep end after Rose's passing, they never really got into how it affected the Snyders. I think all this searching for Theresa is going to re-touch some sour wounds with the Snyders and then we're really going to see them open up and we're going to see how they really feel..three years after Rose's passing.

And as far as Lily goes, I think this is a huge thing for Lily. Her twin sister died just a few short years after she dsicovered that she had a twin. Then Rose died suddenyl, which out Lily in a great upheaval because I think she really understands that she has so many future memories with her twin that she'll never get to live thanks to Rose's unexpected passing.

Now, she knows that Rose has a daughter and wants to find this daughter so she can be an "aunt" to the child of her sister, who she never really got to spend alot of time with.

But that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

• Members

I agree wholeheartedly. Martha Byrne is one of the biggest talents in daytime, equivalent to Susan and Deidre in terms of recognition. I love how they are giving her something more to do than to stand around and give advice. Martha is a master, and I only hope that in delving into Rose's past again, we will get to see her portray her via flashbacks. I'm just glad that JP realizes her talent and is utilizing her rather than putting her on the backburner.

• Members

The only time Lily ever stood around giving advice was when Rose was front and center, arguably the most annoying character ever created in Soap History. Martha ???? backburnered ????? Surely you jest. Only when pregnancy demands it.

I can respect the fact people like her. I'm just really, really, REALLY not looking forward to some b.s. story involving Rose's spirit and Saint Lily's acceptance of whoever Rose's child is. I wish she'd stick her nose into her best friend (at least last year) Carly's supposed attraction to Simon.

Personally, I wouldn't put MB in the top ten actresses on the show...whether or not she's the most recognizable or not. But that's my opinion.

• Members

I agree w/ these quotes. It's nothing against MB, but I think Lily is the most annoying character on ATWT. Everything she does has to include the whole martyr act. MB is a good actress. I loved her portrayal of Rose, but Lily is meh! She can stay in a coma for all I care. There are so many good actresses on the show. Why continually give just one of them storylines??

And there's no denying that the whole Rose/Lily storyline was just a way to get MB an Emmy...which worked somehow. B/c once she won the Emmy, Lily was backburnered and it was all about Rose. I wouldn't call that playing "dual roles" if you're only playing one character day-after-day.

• Members

I think Martha works her ass off FOR the show and does more to promote it than anyone and deserves every bit of kudos and recognition she gets. I can't wait to have Lily back. I can't stand most of the front burner characters on this show and maybe with Lily back we can get on with the Luke story already.

• Members

Like Lily or not, Martha is talented. She's amazing no matter what she's given. I cannot wait for her and Luke to revisit his coming out to her. The first round was scripted absolutely realistic and brilliant. She and Van have amazing chemistry as son and mother.

Does anyone even care who played Luke as a teen first? Van has made me care less. He IS Luke :)

Archived