WoST- World of Soap Themes

• Members

In 1998 or so, Bianca told Dimitri about how she missed Mona's corned beef and cabbage, that it was Bianca's great Aunt's recipe, maybe? It was some extended family member of Mona's, and this person was Irish. This would have been February 1998. So Mona was apparently of Irish descent, but I don't think her extended family was ever really explored, which is a shame.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In my mind, I made up the backstory of Mona coming from a large family -- one headed by her father, a minister -- who largely shunned her for marrying Eric, who had been a member of an acting troupe that passed through her hometown. Very William Inge-esque but (I felt at the time) it might have explained a few things.

• Members

This is true.

Oh, there was so much to explore with Mona and Eric's backgrounds. Are we even sure Kane was his real surname, or was it merely his "stage name"? I would like to think his REAL last name was "Kanisky," which might make Erica at least partially Polish.

• Members

I kind of love that. Reminds me of what I've read about WASP princess Iris learning that her biological mother was the (heavily inferred, but not outright stated) Jewish Sylvie Kosloff.

I'd like to hear more from Agnes Nixon about her interest in the single mother/daughter relationship she seemed fond of: Mona/Erica, Ada/Rachel, Sadie/Carla, Kate/Ava...

• Members

Loved WOST! Having been obsessed with tv themes all my life, and especially soap openings and closings, I visited the site daily and was there until the very end. The community of posters was the best then and hasn't been matched since IMO. Spirited, passionate, and educated commentary that is sorely missed.

• Members

I think Agnes alluded to something about her relationship with her father when she was interviewed for Jeff Giles's OLTL book. She said she knew what it was like to have a domineering father like Viki Lord's.

• Members

Yes, Agnes said in the Lifetime Intimate Portrait that her father was largely absent from her life as a child, and that she spent a lot of her time making up stories and acting them out with her dolls and paper dolls and the like. Erica's bad relationship with her father - minus the creepy rape retcon - was based on Agnes' relationship with her own father.

Archived