2014 Winter Olympics Thread

Toups

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Go France, USA, GB, go! lol

Honestly, I love the Winter Olympics and watch for the pure pleasure. I will root for Canada, the US and Russia in ice hockey, and for the Russians and Team GB in the pairs figure-skating (because the Russians always take my breath away in ice-skating and Team GB... well, I loved Torvill & Dean). I know Canada will be keeping their fingers crossed for Moir & Virtue! If Johnny Weir was back on the rink for Team USA, I would be rooting for his glamourpuss ass again.

Apart from curling (which is a snore) there is so much to enjoy! I love the snowboarders pulling crazy stunts on the mogul runs. Then they get interviewed and their all "That was totally rad, man! WOOOOO! What a rush!" Even the French snowboarders speak like that in French.

It's just too bad about Russia being run by a thuggish, homophobic, greedy oligarchy. I hope with the foreign press swarming around, TPTB will tone it down.

• Members

I thought that, overall, it was a beautiful opening ceremony.

I was more disappointed with the judgmental, condescending commentary regarding the dark spots in Russia's history, as if the U.S.'s history is squeaky clean.

But, all in all, a good show.

• Members

I loved the use of all that classical music. The NBC coverage was frustrating like why didn't they air the translation. The part with the alphabet they could have explained what things were.. it wasn't as if they were airing this live. They also cut the IOC speech and the portion with the police seeing Get Lucky.

• Members

The opening was amazing. I knew it would be more than just crazy bling. The Russians have a culture of science, music, ballet and literature which is one of the richest and most refined in the world. The maps on the ground of the sea, turning into naval campaigns, turning into the construction of St. Petersburg, were breathtaking. The ballet was spectacular.

I know the TV commentators were criticizing the zero mention of Stalin or Russians suffering at the hands of evil dictators (*cough* *side-eyes Putin*) but I don't know what they were thinking. This is the opening ceremony of the Olympics. Nobody is going to show people being starved to death or tortured in a gulag. This is a mega promotion for the state tourism office!

Every country uses these ceremonies for PR purposes. In London, the opening was all about James Bond and corgis, the Welfare State and multicultural utopia (nevermind that immigration and "welfare scroungers" are the biggest hot button topics there). Vancouver wasn't going to talk about Canada's sometimes dicey history with the First Peoples. Beijing? The country which executes more of its citizens than any other nation on earth? Yeah, that wasn't going to be mentioned. This kind of propaganda goes all the way back to the Olympics in Germany in 1936.

Watching snowboarding this morning. LOL, The US won the first gold medal! Woot! Seeing the three medalists (from the US, Sweden, Canada) hug each other and jump around in the snow together was so cute. Snowboarders are so chill. They really don't have time for hate. I loved them somersaulting on their run over a giant Russian doll!

Archived