Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

LOL. CBS and SOD should have spent the money they are wasting on mailing the newsletter to you and others, and on the offer, on investing in and promoting Guiding Light during its run instead of cutting GL's budget and ignoring it.

I wish I had your strength in boycotting CBS ... I was going to do it (other than continuing to support ATWT), but Big Brother ended up sucking me back in over the summer. I don't plan on watching anything else on CBS and hopefully I can stick to that.

Edited by jfung79

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I always thought that the B&E screwed up when they when they weirdly twisted story to make Kevin be Ross instead of Rick's. I don't know what caused them to do that but after McTavish went through all the trouble to have Blake cheat on Ross then become pregnant with twins with two different fathers well...plus it cost us a potential Bauer/Thorpe connection. Idiots, but not as as idiotic as that lovely funeral for Ross on Main Street where Wheeler said we'd get to see the Marley kids SOARSed. What we got was a couple of 12-year-olds playing the boys who only appeared twice.

• Members

That was 1998, I believe.

I don't know why they did it either, but it may have been so they would tie up a storyline, and also because they could get away with it, as that was seen as a low point for the show (twins by 2 fathers).

Funny how Jerry ver Dorn has been on 2 soaps where he plays father to twins who may or may not have different bio dads.

• Members

I feel like, based on what I was reading in the soap press at the time, the twins-by-different-fathers angle was deemed ridiculous back then. And people resented that Blake had cheated on Ross with Rick... even though they were playing out that skeezy Ben Warren story around the same time.

That's funny about Jerry ver Dorn! Hadn't occurred to me.

• Members

Hate losing GL and not getting to watch my show and the characters - however one good thing is since I have not watched CBS daytime since they took off GL - I don't have to see the promos for tacky, stupid LMAD - saw the awful preview and that was enough - don't know how anyone could watch that trash - yeah I know LMAD is cheap - looks cheap - sounds cheap - would rather watch the Balloon Boy then a stupid game show.

:wacko:

• Members

Meh not really. Let me be honest here...if GL had been renewed I would still be an occasional viewer. I'm pretty sure if GL was still on we'd be stuck between Mallet and Marina junk and Daisy/James garbage with cruddy production values all around. If there had been an on-air domestic drama with Leah I would for one would care less and still ponder her ridiculous SOARSing. Unlike some past soaps I personally feel GL's time was up although I do miss the show, really despite some flaws and holes the show wrapped up and everyone lived happily ever after as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I did read her Twitter earlier this year. It was quite entertaining, especially when she talked about how she asked Marah if she was upset Jeffrey and Reva had married, and when Mindy talked about Kurt Corday.

I will have to check the more recent stuff out. I'm glad they've kept it going.

• Members

Pamela Long intended to resurrect Rita in 1989 when Roger and Holly returned. P&G went so far as to contact Lenore Kasdorf and attempt to arrange a contract. Kasdorf resuming the role was Long's proviso for going ahead with the story. Kasdorf declined the offer because she was settled in California. She stated later she regretted the decision and would have returned if asked again. Kasdorf's return was not speculation. I was given this information by Long, and Kasdorf confirmed it in an interview for -I believe- Soap Opera Digest sometime around the show's 40th anniversary in 1992.