OLTL: Patricia Mauceri speaks about her firing

• Members

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,546720,00.html??test=faces

If you tuned in to the soap "One Life to Live" this week, you may have noticed there's been a change of character. One character in particular.

Actress Patricia Mauceri says she was fired and abruptly replaced for objecting to a gay storyline because of her religious beliefs.

Mauceri played the recurring role of Carlotta Vega on "OLTL" for the last 14 years. But when she objected to how the writers wanted her deeply religious character, a Latina mother, to handle a storyline involving homosexuality, she objected. And for that she claims she was fired.

Mauceri, 59, a devout Christian, told FOX News that character Vega's gay-friendly dialogue was not in line with the character she helped create by drawing on her own faith.

"I did not object to being in a gay storyline. I objected to speaking the truth of what that person, how that person would live and breathe and act in that storyline," she said. "And this goes against everything I am, my belief system, and what I know the character's belief system is aligned to."

Mauceri said she was replaced despite offering changes to the script and hoping for a compromise.

An ABC spokesperson said they were not aware of any such claims by Mauceri, adding such claims "would be frivolous."

When asked why Mauceri is no longer playing Carlotta Vega, the spokesperson said the show does not comment on personnel matters. The scene in question was scheduled to air Friday afternoon.

Mauceri told FOX News she is exploring her legal options. AFTRA, the actors union that represents her, did not respond to a request for comment.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cry me a river. This is how typical employer/employee relationships go: You're hired to do a specific job. You refuse to do it. You're fired! End of story.

She refused to do the work. She wasn't fired for her personal beliefs. Call yourself a Christian yet live by the Old Testament all you want. Let everyone at your job know it. It's your business. It's your right! But if you tell your boss that you refuse to do your work for which you've been hired because of those beliefs, then you're outta there!

• Members

Actors are paid to act, period. They may voice their opinons about what they think their character might or might not do or say, but ultimately, they have to speak the words as written. That's their job.

If she refused to play the scene as written, they had every right to "fire" her. (I put "fire" in quotes, because technically, she wasn't even on contract. She was a recurring player who was used and paid as needed. In other words, unlike contract players, she could've turned it down when they called her).

• Members

Yeah they are paid to act, but they have every right to voice their opinion if they know it's something their character isn't going to do.

I remember a few years ago reading about Michael E. Knight from AMC going to the producers and being FURIOUS about something that was written that he knew his character would never do. David Canary objected to Adam leaving a pregnant Krystal alone and in labor on the floor and they changed it slightly.

I don't see why they couldn't change one stupid line. It's not like it would have harmed the show.

Archived