The Tennis Thread

• Members

I actually like the dress on her. It's for the civil service, the church wedding is tomorrow. Considering the fact that they got into a gondola afterwards, I thought she was dressed appropriately (lol).

Apparently, Andy and Serena did not have the traditional dance at the Champion's Ball like she had with Novak last year. I guess Andy's got two left feet.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/12/andy-murray-wasnt-drunk-enough-to-dance-with-serena-williams/

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was watching a pre-wimbledon warm up tourney and Taylor mentioned he was getting married. The interviewer on the court was surprised as was I. I thought it was a joke and I think she thought so too. It is crazy that he is married already when he has no money to support her….LOL. I guess thats why he pulled out of the grass court tourney in the states this week. 

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I dunno, he comes from a tennis family. I read that his Mother, at one time, was a Top 10 tennis player so maybe he has a nest egg somewhere. Who knows maybe she's the U.S. version of Kim Sears? Something tells me these folks are not hurting for money like the rest of us. The age thing though, they seem awfully young, especially in this day and age when people tend to get married and have kids later on, after they've established themselves in their careers, but as I've said, perhaps Fritz is just not like most of us, maybe money and getting established on the tour is just not a concern for him

• Members

A small bit of trivia for any Wimbledon fans...it's rumoured this last Wimbledon marked the conclusion of HRH The Duke of Kent's run as the President of the All England Tennis Club as he is apparently being succeeded by TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge who will take over the role of handing out the Wimbledon trophies next year. 

For many, the Kents will be remembered for HRH The Duchess of Kent's compassionate hug for Jana Novatna when she lost to Steffi Graf in 1993:

Edited by DaytimeFan

• Members

Thanks for posting this, @DaytimeFan.

I've been watching Wimbledon since I was a little girl.  In fact, I remember that '93 Wimbledon where Novotna was leading, thoroughly thrashing Graf for most of the match until she apparently started thinking about the fact that she was actually beating Graf (according to the commentators), who at that time was the most dominant player of her generation, and Novotna and her game proceeded to fall apart.

That embrace extended by the Duchess of Kent to a virtually inconsolable Novotna was an act of kindness and simple warmth that illustrated the possibility that even aristocracy could show the compassion that most people watching from their seats wanted to show but were physically unable to. The great thing was that Novotna would return and eventually win the Wimbledon Ladies Singles title that she clearly coveted so much.

That the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are taking over is no suprise as they've been attending for years now, they are fans of the sport. Serena once related a conversation she had with Prince William where he expressed admiration for Venus and stated that she was his favorite female player and Serena promptly stated that Prince Harry was her favorite royal:lol:.  They both had a chuckle.

Also, I could've sworn the camer showed a glimpse of the Duke of Cambridge napping during one of the Finals matches (I think it was the Ladies Singles Finals), so I think it's been a long slog for him and maybe he'd like to opt out of sitting in the royal box most days, sometimes for several hours at a stretch.

• Members

I miss the Duchess of Kent. I looked forward to her every year. As for Serena ….she has good taste…LOL….I prefer Harry over William…..

Love the dress but hate her hair…I tell you she styles her hair better for a damn tennis match than her wedding…LOLOLOL

• Members

I just came to the realization that Querrey is part of the Last Eight Club at Wimbledon (which is actually a real 'thing'), which means free access to the AELTC as well as free tickets to matches at the Championships for life!  Isner, on the other hand, has yet to get past the 4th Round.

This doesn't really surprise me though, because I've always thought that while Sam seemed to be excessively laid back, he always seemed to have better movement (for such a tall person) and a better all round game than Isner. Querrey seems more fleet of foot than Isner, and it's well known that Isner will tire a bit faster than other top ranked players because it takes a lot of energy to keep such a big body moving.

• Members

Was shocked to hear on TC that she was pregnant. I didnt know she was even dating anyone after Red Fo…or whatever his name is…LOL…..Ummm her current bf is hot. 

As for tennis matches….Steve Johnson loses to Young…..after all the pimping they gave him for Wimbledon….LOL…..

• Members

More people expressed shock about her having a boyfriend than about the actual pregnancy.

Young is going for that Newport Slam.:lol:

I actually feel for the French Davis Cup players, having to focus on playing after the terrible tragedy in Nice. At least they're tied with the Czech Republic 1-1.

Edited by DramatistDreamer