Soap Opera Openings

• Members

Agree re: GL '92 - '97... forgot about that. And AMC's current opening is pretty good, one of the current best and easily the best of ABC.

Does anyone remember the GL short-lived opening when Joan Collins was on? (revolving cough lozenges?) I liked the music.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think DAYS' hourglass opening is very classy. And they don't ever have to update it when people leave! So you don't have those actors who've been off the show for months still rearing their heads.

I don't really like any of the openings right now. AMC has the best one on ABC - though I'd rather have the simple hand closing the book than the stagey, model-y one they have now - but I don't like how all the ABC openings look similar. And I don't like the cheesy arrangements that AMC and GH are using for their themes. The less said about the OLTL one, the better.

• Members

Please, AMC has the best opening ofany soap, in my opinion. I just NEVER tire of seeing young Erica in the beginning (that's a priceless moment in and unto itself), the couples picture of Babe and JR, Erica showing her sexy BACK to the camera (SCANDALOUS!!!), Di's sexy gaze, Josh's "you know you want me" cocky posture, Palmers, "Yep, that's me!" movement, and just everything else about it! OH GOD, how could I forget, the way Babe touches herself and makes that sexy turn! And whatever else I left out. It's just the best. Although America's dying to know -- who the hell is that girl that comes after Del? She's NEVER on the show~! I'm almost convinced its an AMC video editor's error, and she never was on the show. Can anyone shed light on this?

• Members

LOL - you crack me up. I agree with most of this though. AMC has a great opening.

That girl you are referring to is Sydney. She is Winifred's niece. Winifred is the Chandler maid. Anyway - this summer she was introduced and quickly became enemies with Colby. Colby had just come and wanted all the attention, but since Sydney was living with the Chandler's, she was getting attention too. They both had their Sweet 16 party this summer, and then Sean came into the mix and we were supposed to have a triangle. The 3 started school and they were fighting over Sean's attention and homework help...then all of a sudden Sydney dropped off the planet in early October, and we've never seen or heard from her since. There is no word on her contract status or status with the show. It's really weird.

• Members

Since we're talking about the openings, let me just take the time to say this.

With each passing day, I grow to loathe the current ATWT opening all the more. It's generic, the theme is dull and watered down, and it just looks ridiculous with the mixed film and video shots of the actors. ATWT is long overdue for a new opening.

• Members

And writer lol.

I guess that CBS openings are okay.

B&B's is pretty good....nothing too special, but I like it.

ATWT's is pretty dull and it seems like more people should be in it.

I haven't seen GL in forever, but I loved that opening they had last year (that theme music was awesome)...the few times I've seen it this year they have all those people talking about the light...I think that sucks.

Y&R, like ATWT, should have more cast members in it. They update VERY seldom. Last year was the first update in what, two years?

• Members

NBC has had extremely good openings in the past. The 1970s AW open is an all-time classic. The 'Texas' opening (with the 2nd theme) is wonderful. I *love* the 'Santa Barbara' opening. Days in any configuration is an all-time classic. 'Generations' was a very original and well put together opening. Ditto for the 2nd SuBe opening. To say that NBC never had good openings is extremely inaccurate (IMO).

Archived