Interview with Tom Casiello

• Members

I know you already interviewed him Toups. I hope you don't mind.

CZ: How did you come to soap writing? Were you a soap fan before? Which soap writer(s) do you admire?

TC: I always wanted to be a soap writer, going back to junior high. There were always soap on in my house growing up, in pretty much every room. I never wanted to write anything else. I grew up loving Michael Malone's first run on OLTL, Nancy Curlee on GL, Bill Bell on Y&R. I loved Donna Swajeski's years on Another World. Sally Sussman over at Generations. The Dobsons on Santa Barbara. Claire Labine on GH. The list goes on and on.

CZ: You've been writing for 4 current soaps (ATWT, OLTL, DAYS, YR). How would you characterize these different shows?

TC: Well, what I believe the shows are at their hearts is very different from what they were like when I was writing for them. ATWT always had this grand, sweeping kind of story-telling, with very large extended families. The Stewarts, the Hugheses, the Snyders, the Walshes... it always had this midwestern, multi-generational vibe to it growing up. I know when I was there, there was a really effort made to modernize it, make it feel not so old-fashioned. Whether or not that helped or hurt the show is another story. But that's what the goal was.

One Life to Live was a show I always struggled to find an identity for. When I was there, I always felt this "ripped from the headlines!" vibe, which wasn't what OLTL felt like to me growing up. When I was young, there was a Country-Western, rough-and-tumble approach to the show when I was younger. It had a wicked sense of humor, and loved taking very realistic characters and putting them in very over-the-top situations - but still managed to tell really powerful stories about the haves-and-have-nots. I've always felt OLTL is in a state of flux about its identity, and I feel like every head writer has brought something very different to the show.

DAYS is the super-couple show. It always has been. It's super-couples, longing, and big adventure stories. It's also one of the few shows I feel is capable of taking twelve characters and dumping them in another locale for a month or two without the fans freaking out. I've never been able to work on another show where the audience accepts "out-of-town" stories the way they do at Days.

Y&R is definitely the most challenging, and definitely the most rewarding. It's a very psychological way of looking at stories, much more subtle. At Days, heaping on the drama was a good thing - but at Y&R, the drama is a lot "quieter". Not that there isn't loads of drama. But it's about these character moments, these very soulful silences. I read a post recently on a message board that talked about the "symphony" of soap writing, and that's what it feels like at Y&R. This very classic way of looking at story structure, the build to crescendos, and then the quiet adagios. It's a show that focus on thematic elements within the episodes as much as plot points, and I really respect that.

CZ: Do you have any favorite storyline or moment you have written?

TC: I always get in trouble with this question, because the stories that are inspiring to write are not always the ones that are most successful. I know when Jen Landon gives interviews about her time at ATWT, she talks about what a joy it was to play the double role. The fans may not have enjoyed it as much, but I really appreciate how Landon enjoyed stepping out of the Gwen Munson angst and creating something new and different. As an actress, it had to be a joy for her, no matter what she or the fans thought of the story. And that's how I feel about my favorite storylines. Even if the stories themselves ended up being a bust, it's always fascinating to step out of the routine soap drama and trying your hand at something different. But if I had to list my Top Five episodes, they'd have to be (in no particular order)

1) Shelle's Wedding/Thanksgiving, DOOL

2) Viki's heart attack with Tess/Todd, OLTL

3) Bryant's death, ATWT

4) Nora, Lindsay and Mark confronting Colson, OLTL

5) An episode I just wrote at Y&R that I can't talk about. :-)

CZ: Would you like being head writer someday?

TC: I always thought I did, but in this environment, I don't think I would. I've watched so many head writers just get beaten down, attacked from all angles, from networks-to their writing team-to EP's-to the fans. So much so that their stories end up nothing like what they intended. Once upon a time, it was my dream, but that was before I saw what one goes through in that position. I'm really, really happy just being part of the collaboration of a breakdown team now, and wouldn't trade it for anything.

CZ: Now you're on Y&R, do you have favorite characters you like writing for?

TC: Ask me this question in another two months, and I can give you the answer. :-) There is one story I just love, with characters I always find something new in. It's awesome. But I can't talk about it yet. Other than that, I love anything with Katherine and Jill. Anything that puts the three Abbott siblings together - Peter, Eileen and Billy have amazing chemistry as a family. It's an awesome cast. I can honestly say there's something in every storyline that I can connect with and relate to, on a personal level. And I haven't always been able to say that at other shows.

CZ: With "'Guiding Light" just getting cancelled, can you see a future for daytime soaps?

TC: I will always believe in a future for daytime soaps, although I've conceded they may have to go away for awhile before they come back. But part of keeping the blog going last year was to let fans know that there are a LOT of people out there: producers, directors, writers, and actors, who are bound and determined to keep this going in some way, shape or form. The decision may eventually be made for us, but until then, I think it's so important that we not only believe in our shows, but we work harder than ever to elevate the quality. This really is the eleventh hour, so I don't know what any show stands to lose by giving fans the kind of intelligent, respectful, heartfelt, entertaining drama they deserve. If not now - then when?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, I was just thinking this, while watching DAYS yesterday. There was a scene with Nicole and Tony in the hospital. Tony was unable to talk and Nicole was talking and talking, basically telling the whole story of what happened lately. The music was really dramatic, but over the top dramatic. Her dialogue was kinda like from a soap parody... seriously... I was thinking to myself how when someone does a soap opera parody, they do it exactly like that scene. And I thought to myself: you don't really get that at Y&R. Y&R does different kind of drama.

I don't want to make it sound like I was bashing DAYS. Cause I did once enjoy that kind of over-the-top drama. And I could probably get into to it again, because that campy way of prodcution can be entertaining.

• Members

You are absolutely correct. That is such a part of days identity tho, and the poler opposite is such a part of Y&R's identity. Days is very in your face drama dn Y&R is very reserved pulled back drama throughout with bursts of it, if anyone understands what im trying to say, lolz.

• Members

When was Casiello at ATWT? It doesn't sound like it was during Marland's tenure as head writer. Marland never tried to modernize ATWT as far as I could tell from watching. Okay, I re-read the the interview. He was there when Jennifer Landon was there. Ugh. The beginning of the end of ATWT.

I like his characterization of the different soaps. He is on target about their identities. He thinks that soaps will go away and then come back. He may be right.

"This really is the eleventh hour, so I don't know what any show stands to lose by giving fans the kind of intelligent, respectful, heartfelt, entertaining drama they deserve. If not now - then when?"

So true. If only the ABC soaps listened to this wise advice.

FrenchFan, excellent interview. Thanks for sharing.

• Members

Well he was at OLTL during Higley's tenure so as far as the "ripped from the headlines" vibe, he was right.

I feel bad that these other shows (well every show except the symphonic Y&R, minus Latham- and B&B) have had such inconsistent identities due to regime changes and network bulls-it. And bad headwriters they hire too.

• Members

Hey! I resemble that remark! You and I are just disagreeing on everything today :)

Hold the fort! Stop the presses! Casiello reads SON???? I'll have to self-censor...don't want to interfere in anyone's creative process!

Archived