Queer as Folk

Matt

• Members

I've been on a QAF kick lately, finally purchasing the 1st season boxed set and watching every ep back-to-back in a week-long marathon. Unfortunately, the 1st season is the only one I ever got to see because I had to drop Showtime for financial reasons (and QAF was the only reason I'd signed up for the cable net in the 1st place), but now I'm determined to *finally* get the whole series on DVD to see all that I missed. I can relate *so* much to every single character. Hell, everyone I knew at the time did and we'd all spend time arguing over which QAF character we were. I laid claim to Justin, even though I was probably more Michael, for the simple fact that my bf at the time (who will forever be referred to as *the* ex, not just an ex) was *so* Brian. Our relationship and the Brian/Justin relation were so similar that I swore that QAF writers were following us around. After all, I was the one-night-stand that wouldn't go away. Literally! For 3 years (well, technically 1 1/2 since we were broken up for the last 1 1/2, but he hadn't bothered to tell me --- don't ask). And the music! I *loved* the music. At the time, I d/l a ton of songs that had been on the show (gotta love Showtime for providing a list of the music on their website), but I found two others from the show that I hadn't previously gotten and am now in love with --- Shake Me (by Mint Royale) and the song that is my current song of the moment, High School Confidential by Carole Pope (it's the song Justin danced to in the King of Babylon contest). And, yes, I still bawl my eyes out during the end of the 1st season finale. Such a fabulous (and HOT) show. Any other fans out there?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched all of it, but in the end I really hate it. There was so much potential, but the characters and storylines never went anywhere. I also hated that whenever a straight person appeared they had to be homophobic of a fag hag. And I absolutely hated how segregated the gay people were. They had a talented cast and good characters, but beyond that it was a lot of potential wasted.

I hear the UK series is much better so I may get that on DVD one of these days.

• Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ May 30 2006, 12:02 AM)

I also hated that whenever a straight person appeared they had to be homophobic of a fag hag.

ITA!! Straight people were shown as the devil...

Some stories had no purpose, kinda like Emmett and that old guy he fell for who later died on the plane bathroom while they were doing the deed.

I liked Brian but his bullshit got tiring by the third season.

Wasn't into Justin going away to NY to pursue art.

And I HATED the teenage prostitute Michael and Ben took under their wing.

*Blanking on name* had a potentially good crystal meth storyline but didn't go anywhere.

• Members

I love(d) the show!!! My friend got me hooked on it but for the same reasons of Matt ($$$) I never had Showtime, so I opted for the DVD box sets when they came out and I just love it!!!

In February of 2004 when the third season came out we went to Dallas and met the guys who play Justin, Emmit and Ted!!!! Fun times!

• Members

I only got to see parts of 2 seasons - the first and then the season that one of the guys was involved with the closeted hockey player. The sex scenes were really hot between the hockey player and Emmet(????) - I think it was Emmett.

I thought the show had great moments and then turn around and have some really bad ones.

I keep saying I am going to go back and see all of it again. Financial reasons kept from keeping Showtime too.

• Members

In its heyday, which, IMO, was, the end of the first season, the entire second season and some of the third season, I think it was a great show.

I just didn't like how they were ALL into drugs. I know stereotypes exist for a reason, and they do exist among the gay community in full force, but I think QAF really embraced and indulged them a little too much.

Great series finale!

Love Brian!

• Members

Yes Mike they did embrace the stereotypes way too much.

I know this may sound weird too some, but when the show first came out I was just beginning to explore my bi side. I loved how the series showed Brian exploring his sex life with Justin (the first time he had anal sex with Justin, the first rimming, etc.). They were very realistically done. And I loved that they even showed Brian having some pain that first time and it wasn't all a bed of roses.

• Members

That was the episode I saw on Showtime. I think that episode also featured the one where some guy went to a sex party in a hotel.

It just wasn't my cup of tea. The time I watched, I felt no joy. All I saw was just depressing situations and stereotypes galore.

But I switched the channel. After all, isn't that what TV is for?

• Members

Maybe I just happen to know a lot of people who are stereotypes, but all of my friends would watch and nod going "yep, yep, that's right." Almost ever single thing that happened (at least during the 1st season that I've seen), I can relate to or have done myself. Granted, not quite as glamourously, but as far out as it could be, I found QAF to be a lot more realistic than, say, Melrose Place or any of the daytime soaps. Been to gay discos, been to a bathhouse, been to pride festival, experimented with leather, had an ex who did drugs heavily, experimented with party drugs, had random sex in the back of a bar, stripped on stage in a contest (and won), dated a guy who took me for granted and wouldn't commit, collected comic books --- yep, I could really relate to nearly all of it.

• Members

I could see that happening. LOL Deservedly too.

As to the sterotype thing Matt, I know they are out there and I know some in my life who fit them too, but I guess I felt they concentrated on them too much.

One of my favorite characters was the doctor/chiropractor. I had to drop my Showtime before I found out how that story ended but it was sure a good one. I can't even remember the characters name to find out the actor's name. I know that he was very good looking and the first scene when Michael (?) went to him for examination on his back - it was very hot. I found it very stimulating. I wished they had pursued their relationship more.

Archived