Michelle Stafford Rocks-TV guide Interview

• Members

Michelle Stafford, The Young and the Restless

Heads up, Young and the Restless fans: This is a can't-miss week for the popular Sharon/Nick/Phyllis triangle — and TVGuide.com has the dirt straight from Michelle Stafford (Phyllis) herself.

SPOILER ALERT! Read no further if you don't wish to know what's coming up. On Wednesday, May 10, Phyllis receives a fateful telephone call from her OB-GYN. The redheaded hussy is freaked out to learn she's expecting. Since this is a soap, where paternity mysteries are de rigeur, she'll have to do some crucial math to suss out who her baby's daddy might be. But let's let Stafford tell it....

TVGuide.com: The secret's out. Your character is preggers.

Michelle Stafford: It's out!

TVGuide.com: Once again, Phyllis won't be sure who her kid's father is, right? Just like it was with her son Daniel back in the day.

Stafford: She's like a dog who doesn't know who's responsible for her litter. [Laughs] She doesn't know who the father is. She thinks it's Nick and then the obstetrician says, "You're definitely eight weeks pregnant." Then Phyllis goes, "Ugh!" She remembers that time that she was sleeping with Nick in the hotel and then she was with Jack, like, two nights later. That one was a mercy f---. Phyllis felt like "Oh no!" afterwards.

TVGuide.com: I remember that regretful scene right after she went upstairs with Jack.

Stafford: Now she's just thinking, "What do I do?" Then she's rehearsing what she's gonna say to Nick in the mirror. And then she's rehearsing what she's gonna say to Jack in the mirror. [Laughs] It's very funny. She has no idea what to do, so she goes to talk to her old pal, Michael. She decides to hide it for as long as she can until she figures out what to do.

TVGuide.com: Poor Phyllis. As a woman, can you ever imagine being in this wild situation?

Stafford: Her moral standard is different than mine. I wouldn't run anyone down in a car or sleep with somebody who's married. She's the extreme. It's TV! I try to make sure that she doesn't come off too much like a whore. I think the story is more interesting if [Nick and Phyllis misbehave] equally. It's not like she's going after him and he just can't help himself. 'Cause daytime does that, man! The woman always has to be the aggressor, the bad one. 'Cause men never do that when they're married, right?

TVGuide.com: What did you think of the recent TVGuide.com poll where the vast majority of my readers loved Nick's adulterous affair with Phyllis?

Stafford: I think it's a sad testament of humanity. [Laughs] No, I think the way you posed the question, I'd have said, yeah, I want to see it, too. [if you're a viewer who's] not digging your relationship or your marriage is in a lull, I'd want to watch two people doing something hot, too! Who cares if it's wrong?

I love this chick. I love this chick. She is so honest. I love her comment about the mercy ****. I love it cause she knows it was and we know it was.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And here I thought I was the only one that remembered how psycho Phyllis was...

I think it's a bit obvious that this baby, if it survives, will be Nick's. It would be a surprise to me if it survived, and it's Jack's... than not surviving or it being Nick's (though Jack on a rampage is more interesting than seeing Nick flip-flop and Victor doing his dirty work). In that case, the real story for me will be what will Sharon do and how will she react... especially if that baby is a girl after that last Matt/Sharon episode where Matt commited suicide (where Sharon probably should have left Nick longer than she tried to do/did then with the way he was acting towards her). And I can see Phyllis being in for the fight of her life, with Victor pulling the strings in favor of pitiful Nick.

Archived