Analyzing the Multiple Marriages of a Soap Charachter

• Members

For soap charachters that have been down the aisle more than 2x, how did you feel about some of those marriages, or how would you rank each of the spouses that charachter had. 

For example: 

AMC: Who would you say was is the best husband for Erica Kane? I'm torn between Dmitri and Jackson. 

What was Viki's best marriage on OLTL. Joe, Clint, Ben? 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Dimitri was always my preferred Erica pairing, but among the men she actually married my second choice would be Adam. It wasn't a love match by any means, but I always loved watching David Canary and Susan Lucci together.

• Members

Agreed.

It is difficult with long running characters to avoid multiple marriages but at some point TPTB stopped caring about the  long term.

Hence we have marriages like Ashland/Victoria and Rey/Sharon which had little build up, short duration and no consequences apart from making the characters even more unrelatable.

• Members

She was there a very short time, if it Wasn't Sean Young she would be totally forgettable 

NIKKI REED

BROOKE LOGAN

Ridge and Eric Forrester

KATHERINE CHANCELLOR

ERICA KANE

ELIZABETH WEBBER

ASHLEY ABBOTT

DORIAN CRAMER LORD

ASA BUCHANAN

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Erica: Dimitri...but I so think she did love hubby #3 Tom...but she met him too early in her life.

Y & R Nikki: Jack

OLTL Dorian: toss up between Mel and Herb

Adam Chandler:  Brooke was his true love....but for the sparring aspect..a toss up between Erica and Liza.

• Members

writers need to learn that characters don't have to be married to be together. 

Constant marrying dullens the impact of relationships and divorces. 

OLTL: Viki's husbands. I'm torn between Joe Riley, Clint, and Ben. Joe was the OG and the father of her boys. Clint dealt with a lot. personality switches, and an affair. Ben brought out Viki's younger side, but ultimately it was her multiple personas that killed him. Ultimately, I'd have to pick Clint as Viki's best husband.

Y&R Victor: I would say Hope was pretty great, because she called Victor out on his crap and she had the strength to walk away. Nikki tried to use Hope's blindness against her, saying that Hope used it to get sympathy from Victor. Ironically Hope was stronger than Nikki ever was.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

So true. It would make sense that characters who have had a few failed marriages might be reluctant to rewed.

Or that a potential spouse might be a lttle wary of someone who had multiple failed marriages.

The other thing soaps stopped doing is creating obstacles to stop couples marrying, making them wait years before they wed. Now they're exchanging vows within months.

Y&R

Ashley/ Cole

Ashley/Blade

Both of these relationships/stories could have happened without marriage. They had no long term impact and damaged the character.

• Members

AMC- I have to say Dimitri, never cared for Jackson. I wish I could see more of her with Tom though just because he was such a cutie.  Erica having many husbands seems very in character for me, others not so much.  Especially when you get into recent offenders.

GH- Bobbie had four husbands and almost a fifth with Jerry Jax. Jake will always be my favorite.

Days- how many times has Lucas been married? At least 4.  Sami will always be my preference.

Y&R- I really prefer Victor with Ashley, but I can’t say that was always the right fit for her.  I liked Brad more for her.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

In terms of Erica, at least there is a shift in her approach to marriage,  Phil, Tom and Adam were mostly transactional in order to gain status, whereas by the time she gets to Dimitri she is marrying for love.

Victor, on the other hand, has mostly married in order fulfill his savior complex, whether it was saving Niki from being a stripper, saving her from Kevin, or saving her from cancer, then he tried to save Leanna from intimacy issues, and Hope from blindness (or just her dull life on a dusty farm), he hasn't changed or grown from the love of a woman, especially when compared to his personal growth based on his friendship with Douglas.

I also have to throw in some grace for Ridge Forrester.  I had thought of him as a blowhard who marries any woman who will submit to his will.  However, this recent wedding with Taylor reminded me that whether it is Thomas, or his mother,  Ridge has been manipulated most of his life.  The blowhard status mostly comes from the actors who have played the part.  But, if we read the history, the poor guy is just an artist looking for love who has been dicked around by his need for approval from his mother and his kids.  Maybe it is the holiday season, (or the fact that he's outgrown his speedo), but I am starting feel sympathy for Ridge. 

Edited by j swift

• Members

Oddly in regards to Ashley..my opinion changed based on who played her.

Eileen's Ashley worked best with Victor and not so much with Brad...imho.

Brenda's Ashley would have worked best with Brad if she played Ashley during their marriage and her Ashley was almost too confident to be Victor's wife.