B&B December 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

I’ve been very impressed with Kimberlin throughout this stint. She’s given Sheila a lot of interesting layers as an older woman. She doesn’t overplay her scenes or strain for an effect. Her friend chemistry with Sean Kanan is wonderful.

Deacon bonding with Hope over self-defense training was a nice touch a few weeks ago. B&B should give us more scenes like that. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am probably going to regret saying this but it feels like the past few weeks have been more soap-like in a good way.
Scenes that establish characters relationships without going for shock moments. Taking the time to explain where folks are coming from... etc

Was there a recent change in the writing stuff that might have influenced that different style?

• Members

Best Sheila story and KB performance since Christmas 1997 and that’s saying something. 

Also the writing for Taylor has been a refreshing surprise at least for the moment. I liked that the show is writing Taylor as both very smart and also the angle that she’s very haunted as well but trying to move. Something complex that hasn’t been seen on B&B in the last 15+ years. The Brooke/Taylor scenes were surprisingly  well written for a change. 

• Members

B&B cannot maintain quality for longer than a few weeks so I’m waiting for the f*ckery. The weak Shauna aside, B&B needed new Ridge/Brooke contemporaries in the mix and has for many years, so even though Deacon, Taylor, and Sheila are technically *old* contemporaries, they are addressing a key structural problem on the show. Another spin on the $Bill merry-go-round would have been beyond lazy (and they should ship DD back to Y&R).

• Members

That is my worry as well. Like Sheila's last return started off well for me in 2017, but to see her end up as a waiter and fade away.

Yeeeeah NO.

At least she has a bit more meat to her from what I read, see, and look forward to seeing. 

• Members

That's why I ended my praise with "I am not optimistic" because... yeah. Even when they try to tell traditional soap stories, Bell will have a "brilliant" "buzzworthy" idea that he will throw suddenly into the mix and shove aside all the careful work done until then.
But the show can be so infuriating that I wanted to throw a hat tip at whoever crafted December 2021. It was not brilliant mind-blowing stuff but it was solid traditional character-based soap storytelling and it was interesting and comforting.

• Members

To me, right now the only one that captures my attention is KB to be honest. Her screen presence is in a league of its own, and her scenes with SK are my main reason for watching right now.

Other than that, I am pretty indifferent to the rest. They are okay for the most part, but I don't miss them when they're not on and I don't find their characters very compelling.