Y&Rbiggestfan

Forever And A Day (A NEW Soap Opera)

I want to like this. I agree with much of the above poster. The narration drives me crazy. I have never listened to an old school radio soap so I don’t know of this was something that was done back then, too. But I find is unnecessary and not well read.

Also, I can’t keep the characters straight. 

Also, are these actors reading their lines directly from a script or have them actually memorized them? Bc it sure seems like it’s an initial table read. It’s lacking the conversational tone of people engage in dialogue. I realize this is being done over Zoom and some of the actors are more polished than others but it’s coming across very amateur.

I am curious what Beth Ehlers is going to do with her material. She admitted she may be rusty and that acting like this is different than face-to-face and eye to eye acting. She only had a few lines in her first episode so it’s hard to tell if she’ll be able to lift the other actors up. I suspect she still has her acting chops but will be challenged by this medium. 

I agree the episodes should be shorter and they need a hook bc nothing is making me want to tune in next time.

I applaud their efforts and would like this to succeed.

Edited by Asb23

Just listened to Episode 5.

I'm actually really liking it. I have no problem keeping track with all the characters and storylines at this point.  I think the writing is very good as well.

But I do agree with what @Asb23 says above. Some of the performers do sound a little robotic sometimes

On 8/19/2020 at 8:04 PM, Asb23 said:

I want to like this. I agree with much of the above poster. The narration drives me crazy. I have never listened to an old school radio soap so I don’t know of this was something that was done back then, too. But I find is unnecessary and not well read.

Also, I can’t keep the characters straight. 

Also, are these actors reading their lines directly from a script or have them actually memorized them? Bc it sure seems like it’s an initial table read. It’s lacking the conversational tone of people engage in dialogue. I realize this is being done over Zoom and some of the actors are more polished than others but it’s coming across very amateur.

I am curious what Beth Ehlers is going to do with her material. She admitted she may be rusty and that acting like this is different than face-to-face and eye to eye acting. She only had a few lines in her first episode so it’s hard to tell if she’ll be able to lift the other actors up. I suspect she still has her acting chops but will be challenged by this medium. 

I agree the episodes should be shorter and they need a hook bc nothing is making me want to tune in next time.

I applaud their efforts and would like this to succeed.

My interpretation of the narrator when I listened to the radio version of "Guiding Light" and the more esoteric "Hearts in Harmony", is a narrator who is omniscient enough, and who asks questions of the audience in order to help the listeners identify the story and most of all the character's mental headspace...also, narrators tend to be more teasing as to stimulate the listener over the variables of where the story could go? 

I think if the closing credits were centric to the characters that appeared in any one given episode, you'd be able to identify them. Because I won't lie, the Emma character, to me sounded just like Beth Ehlers, I had to look up and see if this was whom "our Harley" was playing. As far as the material, I think Beth has shown a lot of grace and humility in the sense that given her experience she has encouraged Casey, and I think overall, she'll take to it like a mermaid to water. I suspect Casey knows the value of who he is working with so it will be fun to see if maybe she gives him more insights to compliment his story. 

I think if the episodes were shorter, people would check in daily, follow the story because it's a quick 15 minutes and then you can go about your day. Radio soaps were only 15 minutes at best in their day, with commercials/sponsors. The hook for, as far as I perceive - is the wealthy Harper family, are an up and coming political dynasty, whose work in public affairs are about to be challenged by their personal ones. I also hope, after chatting with Casey about Augustus, as the town itself as a character, we learn more about this relatable backdrop for human drama. 

Edited by Lust4Life76

34 minutes ago, Dylan said:

THEY HAVE ADDED SOUND EFFECTS 👏

That was a delightful improvement. I personally enjoy it when Casey narrates his work for the simple reason as creator he has such a personal connection when telling his story. I wish they would stick with one narrator vs. going back and forth between, for the sake of continuity! ;) 

Yes the sound effects have helped. There has definitely been an improvement since the first few episodes.

I wish they’d give Beth Ehlers scenes with the stronger actors. I think she (obviously) and Colin (Quinn VanAntwerp) are the most experienced and you can hear it. 

Yes, one narrator would be better but I feel like they should hire someone to do that job, too.

Edited by Asb23