Forever And A Day (A NEW Soap Opera)

• Members

I want to like this. I agree with much of the above poster. The narration drives me crazy. I have never listened to an old school radio soap so I don’t know of this was something that was done back then, too. But I find is unnecessary and not well read.

Also, I can’t keep the characters straight. 

Also, are these actors reading their lines directly from a script or have them actually memorized them? Bc it sure seems like it’s an initial table read. It’s lacking the conversational tone of people engage in dialogue. I realize this is being done over Zoom and some of the actors are more polished than others but it’s coming across very amateur.

I am curious what Beth Ehlers is going to do with her material. She admitted she may be rusty and that acting like this is different than face-to-face and eye to eye acting. She only had a few lines in her first episode so it’s hard to tell if she’ll be able to lift the other actors up. I suspect she still has her acting chops but will be challenged by this medium. 

I agree the episodes should be shorter and they need a hook bc nothing is making me want to tune in next time.

I applaud their efforts and would like this to succeed.

Edited by Asb23

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just listened to Episode 5.

I'm actually really liking it. I have no problem keeping track with all the characters and storylines at this point.  I think the writing is very good as well.

But I do agree with what @Asb23 says above. Some of the performers do sound a little robotic sometimes

• Members

My interpretation of the narrator when I listened to the radio version of "Guiding Light" and the more esoteric "Hearts in Harmony", is a narrator who is omniscient enough, and who asks questions of the audience in order to help the listeners identify the story and most of all the character's mental headspace...also, narrators tend to be more teasing as to stimulate the listener over the variables of where the story could go? 

I think if the closing credits were centric to the characters that appeared in any one given episode, you'd be able to identify them. Because I won't lie, the Emma character, to me sounded just like Beth Ehlers, I had to look up and see if this was whom "our Harley" was playing. As far as the material, I think Beth has shown a lot of grace and humility in the sense that given her experience she has encouraged Casey, and I think overall, she'll take to it like a mermaid to water. I suspect Casey knows the value of who he is working with so it will be fun to see if maybe she gives him more insights to compliment his story. 

I think if the episodes were shorter, people would check in daily, follow the story because it's a quick 15 minutes and then you can go about your day. Radio soaps were only 15 minutes at best in their day, with commercials/sponsors. The hook for, as far as I perceive - is the wealthy Harper family, are an up and coming political dynasty, whose work in public affairs are about to be challenged by their personal ones. I also hope, after chatting with Casey about Augustus, as the town itself as a character, we learn more about this relatable backdrop for human drama. 

Edited by Lust4Life76

• Members

That was a delightful improvement. I personally enjoy it when Casey narrates his work for the simple reason as creator he has such a personal connection when telling his story. I wish they would stick with one narrator vs. going back and forth between, for the sake of continuity!  

• Members

Yes the sound effects have helped. There has definitely been an improvement since the first few episodes.

I wish they’d give Beth Ehlers scenes with the stronger actors. I think she (obviously) and Colin (Quinn VanAntwerp) are the most experienced and you can hear it. 

Yes, one narrator would be better but I feel like they should hire someone to do that job, too.

Edited by Asb23

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Anybody listening this FAAD?

Ive got to say it’s definitely improving. Is it as polished as it could be? No. But they are finding a groove and each episode gets better and better. Right now there is a cartoonish sounding character named Lucinda who really needs to tone it down bc it’s cringe-worthy. 

Some of the actors are better at audio acting than others. Beth Ehlers is still awesome and, perhaps, they should ask her to mentor some of the other actors.

I realize audio acting is different than face to face acting but Beth is just as natural as ever. Quite a few still sound like they’re reading from a script. They need to memorize their dialog so it sounds more conversational in tone.

Still hoping for some Beth and Frank Dicopolous scenes to satisfy my GL loving heart.

• Members

I am.

I really like it. Casey Hutchison is a pretty good writer. And just like with you, the problem with me is the actors. Some of them still sound so robotic. These last few episodes called for some pretty emotional performances, and I just didn't really feel it for some of them.

And I do like the character of Lucinda. I hate the way she pronounces "Gunnar" though (Goonar)

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

The description of Frankie D's character as "smooth and intelligent" had me laughing! Also, the "commercial" they were using...at least on the GL FB page was hilarious..."Frank Dicopolous RETURNS to daytime" with triumphant music...like he was Joan Collins are something.

I think Ehlers, as shrill as she was in her last few GL years, is a woman who could pretty much do anything she sets her mind to, so there is no doubt she would be good at this.

• Members

Ooooh...its you! Ah, yes..I watched off and on to the very end and yes, I don't think she was trying to be shrill, but shrill she was..remember when Krieziman made her his very own Mary Sue...("Oh look, Phillip's death is all about Harley...oh look Harley is CEO of Spaulding even though in no plane of reality would that happen. Oh look...Harley is a SUPER HERO for an episode showing off her abs..oh look, Harley is narrating the first episode of the new format..you know..when she was NEVER on" Now you just relax and go to the "Meals on Wheels" in your mind to calm down or listen to this little podcast and everything will be fine.

Edited by Mitch