Ratings From the 90's

• Members

B&B June 25, 1990 Clarke and Sally get married.

Y&R July 9, 1990 we saw during the classics. Nikki puts on a show at The Colonnade Room.

B&B July 18, 1990 Caroline death. I cried so much afterward.

July 16-20, 1990 As the World Turns in 2nd. @Soapsuds will be so happy to see this.

Guiding Light July 20, 1990 Rick Hearst debut.

Days getting a boost from the shipwreck. Only three months left of the supercouple era.

One Life to Live is tanking.

Edited by kalbir

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Guiding Light July 23, 1990 Kim Zimmer departure.

Y&R July 27, 1990 Esther gives birth to Chloe.

August 2, 1990 Iraq invades Kuwait. We'll be seeing interruptions for Gulf War coverage over the next 6 months.

Guiding Light August 17, 1990 Mark Derwin debut.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

And it's tanking in almost record time, too.  I don't think it can be overstated how vital Andrea Evans was to the show's success in the mid- and late-'80's.  When Peggy O'Shea left as HW in 1987, she took with her the show's ability to ground even the most far-fetched ideas in some semblance of reality.  As long as AE was still on the show, however, you could ignore the ridiculous storylines, because Tina remained a very captivating character - sort of an anti-heroine, if you will - in her hands.

For me, the low point of that era - lower than Eterna, lower than all the Mendorra [!@#$%^&*] - were the hijinks that S. Michael Schnessel and Paul Rauch concocted for the Badderley (sp?) storyline.  That was the clear sign that OLTL had become a victim of its' own excesses and needed a serious overhaul.  Unfortunately, I don't think Linda Gottlieb and Michael Malone were the answer, lol.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Y&R been hitting 8+ since late May 1990. They are so far ahead of the pack.

I haven't done a deep dive into 1991-1994 ratings yet, but I'm pretty sure Y&R dominates in the sense that they are far ahead of everyone until the start of OJ. We know that Y&R dominance was threatened in the aftermath of OJ when Reilly's Days blew up.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Y&R hits 9+ a few times around early 1994, I think. One week hitting a 9.7.  In fact, the majority of the soaps were on an upswing in 1993/1994 before the Ford Bronco chase... 

Looking at these 1990 numbers, it's kind of shocking to see so many of the powerhouse shows wading in the 5's so quickly. 

• Members

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 8/20/90-8/24/90 & 8/27/90-8/31/90:

Please register in order to view this content

FROM THE VAULT: WEEKLY DAYTIME NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEKS OF 9/3/90-9/7/90 & 9/10/90-9/14/90:

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

7/23/90-7/27/90:
GH - You have 6.3, SOW has 6.2
GL - you have 5.3, SOW has 5.2

8/6/90-8/10/90:
Y&R - You have 8.1/28, SOW has 7.3/25 !!!
DOOL - You have 5.5/18, SOW has 5.1/17
both are noted by SOW as having preemptions

8/20/90-8/24/90:
GL - You have an 18 share, SOW has 19
AW - You have 4.1/14, SOW has 3.4/12

• Members

What happened to Days this week? We expect to see a drop off across the board in September once the kids are back in school but a 1.2 drop is pretty big. I take it the shipwreck storyline is over and Days is preparing for Stephen Nichols departure.

I think its the aftermath of Kim Zimmer departure.

• Members

Coming back to this, I found these two possible ATWT preemptions that I couldn't eliminate because there were no times listed. Nothing from 1992 or 1993 seems to fit.

Can you double check if GL was preempted on these days?

1/23/91 Unrated War in the Gulf 29 (unknown timings)
8/20/91 Unrated CBS Special Report: Soviet Coup 6 (unknown timings)

Edited by BoldRestless