Looking back...Primetime Ratings from the 80's

Paul Raven

I've been rewatching Archie Bunker's Place. The last time i saw it was when it originally aired. And i was a small child. I'm in S3. I like Billie and Gary. And Archie's Puerto Rican love interest Katherine. I noticed Archie's can be very bigoted like he was on All in The Family. Other times he was more progressive in his views.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks everyone for the Suzanne Somers info. I mixed up Cass Malloy with Suzie.

Don't know how ABC could claim Suzanne was playing Chrissy.

Anyway the CBS deal didn't get her a series but she probably made some money out of it.

Always wonder about the BTS stuff in moves like these. Was there some exec change that resulted in Suzanne being cast aside?

• Members

That was the Knots season finale.

A lot of series programming would have been repeats and I'm assuming Hill St Blues up against Knots was a rerun.

That was also the Falcon Crest finale which did not have the usual Dallas lead in. Caddyshack ran 8-10 and only ranked 32nd so FC did well considering.

The #27 show 'International Airport' was a pilot for a Hotel like series starring Gil Gerard and aired Sat 9-11. Guess viewers used to watching Love Boat were quite happy to sit through it.

• Members

I think it was a mistake for Suzanne Somers to try and rebound from "Three's Company" with another sitcom.  If I were her, I would have tried instead to find a gig on a one-hour series with some lightly comedic elements, like "Crazy Like a Fox" or "Scarecrow and Mrs. King."

Was this when Sheila told Harry [slow-mo]"they wanna take the babies!"[/slow-mo]?

• Members

That was the resolution to the Wolfbridge Group storyline, when KL tried combining '70's conspiracy thriller with '80's primetime soap opera.  At the time, I'm sure it was very exciting to watch every week; but, in retrospect, I don't think it's an easy story to explain (although, certainly much easier than Empire Valley!) and it was probably a bit beyond KL's scope as a more middle-class and character-driven show than DALLAS or DYNASTY.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I love the fact that Gary's "death" had real, emotional impact on everyone.  If that had happened during the Lechowicks' tenure, it would have been treated as just another plot point, with their customary shits-and-giggles.

As far as storylines go, the Wolfbridge storyline was pure adrenaline.  You knew something exciting and sinister was going on, you just didn't know what, lol.  In a way, watching it was like being inside a speeding car where the wheels are in danger of coming off at any moment.  It's a miracle that everyone made it to the end.