Over 200 Nigerian girls kidnapped by Boko Haram:

ChitHappens

• Members

Sunny Hostin @SunnyHostin 1h

Boko Haram’s leader Abubakar Shekau statement on the abducted schoolgirls: I abducted your girls. I will sell them in the market

Female protesters will be arrested if they continue to lie about the children being abducted. This from a female public official.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-nigeria-bokoharam-20140505,0,7243546.story

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

BH (don't even want to say their names) have been active for at least 6 years or so and I've been reading about this group terrorizing people for years now. It seems that the Nigerian government had (mistakenly) believed they pushed them back but it seems they were biding their time while they planned a comeback. But the government has fouled up on various fronts over the years, even matching BH in brutality at times over the years, which did not endear them to many of the population in the North. The government needs to formulate an active, effective and sensible strategy and they've been shakey at best--you see how they've handled some of the protesters.unsure.png

I have several former college mates who are from Nigeria and it always disturbed me the seemingly glib attitude that some of my fellow students had about many West African countries' role in the Trans Atlantic slave trade. And to hear this sociopath seemingly gleefully talking about selling girls off into slavery really upsets me. There seems to be very little recognition of the brutality of slavery. Then again, sexual violence is always trivialized in situations like these as well.

All I can do is pray that that by some miracle these girls will be rescued but I cannot help but think this can take years. I don't even want to think of the alternatives at this time.

Archived