Late-Night Talk Shows

Max

• Members

I grew up watching Late Night With Conan O'Brien. But, once he moved to L.A. It was like he lost his funny...and I quit watching.

I watch Ferguson sometimes. But, he's leaving soon.

And, I also used to tape Kilborn's version of LLS back in the early 00s. He was hilarious (I'd stay up late. Watch Conan, and tape Kilborn and watch him the next day)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That Johnny interview with Joan I think shows why he was so great. His entire conversation eventually becomes being the straight man setting her up to tell all her jokes. "I hear you went to England," just so she can get a couple of minutes worth of royal family jokes. He doesn't try to be funny even once the entire interview instead letting his guest be the star. Leno, Letterman, Fallon and the others would never allow a guest to have ten minutes without trying to get a laugh themselves.

• Members

Definitely true. Carson is still the king of late night even now. I like Letterman and other guys, but no one will be able to do it like Carson did. He was even funny when his jokes weren't working. He made that into a joke. I still remember for a while there when a joke in the monologue did not work, he would start singing Rinestone Cowboy. After a while, he even came out on a horse and sang the entire song!

• Members

Sometimes I don't know what to think about Joan. I have always LOVED her, but I also see her slipping, IMO. It's almost like she's stepping over the line from acerbic into mean, in a desperate bid to remain at the top. Alot of her humor used to be based on frustration and exasperation, and today, about half is based in outright anger. In my opinion... from the outside looking in, the feud with Carson was most likely him being intensely hurt by her leaving. He made her career, he gave her a permanent guest host position, it's obvious he chose her to be THE ONE that would succeed him. From all reports, she ACCEPTED the FOX offer, and as she said, she called him first. But she should have not called, but went to him IN PERSON when the offer was first made. I'm sure he felt betrayed, because he chose her, and she didn't give him a chance to make a counter offer. People who knew Johnny, also said he was not very demonstrative with his feelings, and Joan I think is the type of person who needs to be reassured over and over again that she is wanted, she's very thirsty and needy, and Johnny isn't one to wear his heart on his sleeve, so there is a recipe for disaster. Considering FOX was such a fledgling network, I think Joan took a gamble, and lost.

Archived