Future AMC/OLTL eps released all at once as a 20 ep season?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ahhhhh this thread title had me thinking they had fired off a press release in the middle of the night. ok deep breaths....

I feel the same- I'll watch whatever they produce because the shows are really good but my hope was really for a 3rd ep added to the current schedule. But does that mean 20 eps annually? Because that would be a huge cut & be kind of a bummer- that seems really drastic so I'm thinking multiple mini seasons. Especially at 24ish minutes. Or like a fall and spring ABC family/USA type thing? AMC & OLTL rotating seasons? Or longer eps? Its not worth freaking out over because there's just so many variables & its all speculative. Not at be all Pollyanna but seeing stuff like this at least makes me feel like they're truly committed to trying to figure out a sustainable model instead of just producing the year and then out.

But people are going to freak the eff out over this. Both now and if it actually happens. I saw tweets earlier today to the effect of if you cut the episodes, I'm done forever so that's making a lot more sense now. Starting smaller would have avoided a lot of that insanity but the shows have been so enjoyable that I'm glad they didn't. I can hear the "this is not a traditional soap opera" cry starting though. I also wonder how this will be blamed on Angie & Jesse & Ginger Smith.

Yeah that's true even the Monday drop has killed some of the momentum in the threads

• Members

I *assume* they just mean, if given this format, they'd do them in batches of 20 episodes, but I assume that doesn't mean only one season a year (in which case it seems--not to sound super doom--kinda hopeless when you have 13 episodes a year of other webseries that are much larger budget--and it ruins the point of a soap.)

• Members

That makes more sense, as the OP reads like it would be 20 episodes only.

I'm not sure I like this idea, but I guess it would depend on the gap between releasing batches of 20, otherwise I'd have a mountain of episodes to get through. But honestly, just when I get to grips with one change, they plan on changing it again. I'm already a week behind (which is why I haven't commented in any of the episode threads for weeks), so having 20 episodes to watch at one time will probably mean I'll fall behind even more, and be less motivated to catch-up - even though the episodes are good, and I'm loving the show.

PP really need to be less reactionary.

• Members

I think the most important thing about a serial is that it is serialized, and with that in mind batching episodes together sort of weakens the product. The idea theoretically is I should want to be ripping my hair out waiting to see what will happen next, and with all the episodes at my fingertips I foresee very little hair ripping. That's why season premieres of shows like Walking Dead and Game Of Thrones break ratings records for their networks: people have been anxiously waiting for them. I see no anxiousness here.

Arrested Development is a comedy, not terribly serialized, and therefore there is no extra payoff to making me wait for the next episode. I honestly think this will diminish interest in the shows. As it is, I watched AMC and OLTL every M-Th, then they went 2 days a week and suddenly I wasn't watching as impatiently. Then they went all the episodes at once, and I basically stopped OLTL and now catch up on AMC once a month or so when I remember I haven't in a while. Serial habits need regular hits, and if you break the pattern you break the habit.

• Members

I'll definitely watch either way, but I'd also prefer they be staggered out back to 3 days a week. As it is, I can't stop myself from watching both AMC episodes on Monday and usually the More episode by Tuesday, then there's nothing left for the rest of the week!

I hope the audience reaction convinces them not to do this. I agree 10 weeks would be a long wait in between for those of us who don't pace ourselves.

• Members

I completely agree. A huge appeal of serials to me, and particularly daytime style soap operas is that they come out every weekday, or week, and I sorta grow to depend on that.

Though I was thinking of other Netflix series like House of Cards (which I haven't watched--I liked the UK version though) and the serio-comedy Orange is the New Black. I DID download all of Hemlock Grove, the horror serial, but I still haven't come close to finishing it--that may be because I simply don't think it's very good, but I do wonder if I would have been more eager to keep up with it if it had come out weekly--that just appeals more to me. I have several TV box sets I haven't broken into yet simply because I always put it off--since there's no pressure to watch that week's episodes before the next (I know that's a weird justification but that seems to be how my mind works.)

I could be wrong, but I really don't think this is a good idea for these shows--a big part of the appeal of daytime soaps, as I said, is that they are watched differently than primetime shows, even serials. IMHO

• Members

See, i watched all of the netflix shows in basically a day. I just marathoned through it and ate it all up and was left needing more. I like binge viewing and marathoning a show. Ive gotten to the point that ill let shows stack up on my DVR just to marathon them, i get way more into them that way. I totally blame netflix/amazin for this due to lost and the west wing.

Archived