Would a Hollyoaks-style soap work in America?

• Members

I'm not talking 90210, but a 5-days a week, 30 min. serial surrounding the lives of university students/ HS teens and a smattering of families here and there in a college town. I've been tuning into the show, and I've been loving its fast-paced and generally tighter storytelling. Plus, it avoids the usual English soaps addiction to overly gritty "appearances", to put it kindly.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's the thing. I can already tell where OLTL is taking the A-Team (Dani does stupid things, Matthew is a jerk, Jeffrey is propped, while Destiny sits at home disapproving of Matthew). The AMC contingent is quite predictable as well. (AJ develops feelings for Heather...and Miranda gets jealous. Pete gets drawn to Colby, and leaves Celia to deal with her demons). I want to see something different. Plus, people are bitchin' about all the pensioners being ignored, so why not have a show full of young ones without any baggage from the past?

• Members

I think a Hollyoaks typed show could work here in a America but I don't see it having longevity as HO does in the UK. IMO, shows that usually revolve around students/young adults have not resonated well (in recent years) with U.S. audiences with the exception of Girls, Glee, and Pretty Little Liars. People binge when it comes to TV nowadays, so 5 days would too much. 2-3 nights a week, yes. More than three nights a week would be pushing it. Plus, stories gotta be tight (content & dialogue), scandalous, and good to keep audiences interested nowadays.

• Members

who to choose: (just throwing names around)

Robert Gorrie

Kelley Missal

Laura Harrier

Andrew Trischitta

Jordan Lane Price

Robert Scott Smith

Brooke Newton

Denyse Tontz

Eric Nelsen

Stevie Steel (<- she plays Heather on AMC)

Kassie DePaiva

Beth Chamberlain

Eileen Davidson

Adrianna Leon

Michael Damian

Eileen Fulton

Hunter Haley King

Robert Adamson

Eddie Alderson

Max Ehrich

Chandler Massey

Freddie Smith

Kate Mansi

Cady McClain

Mick Hazen

Jesse Soffer

Jennifer Landon

Colleen Zenk

Jerry verDorn

Gina Tognoni

(I know there are more but I can't really list them right now)

• Members

Max Ehrich! He's being wasted as Fen on Y&R. I can't bear to watch those scenes. I'd also rescue Zac Conroy from B&B. It's obvious Brad doesn't want to write for the Oliver character. Oh, and Gina Tognoni, I miss her.

Have you watched Hollyoaks, Cassadine? You'd love the stories, I think.

• Members

Well, let's see...I wouldn't get any of the A-Team, to be honest. They're right where they need to be. Trischitta needs to be tied with veteran actors/actresses to help him grow. I'm glad at all the P&G soap cast-offs you offered. Eric and Denyse can stay on AMC (who else will The Covin Factor interact with?). No Kristen Alderson? wink.png Can I suggest Crystal Hunt and Stephanie Gatschet? They can fill the mid-20's age group.

Yeah, the current gay stories suck, but look up kimbaforeva's McDean clips, and watch it from the start. You'll be pleased.

• Members

I can't even choose one of the "A Team"? well about Trischitta there's a reason i got Kassie up there, and have him interact with the veterans. okay Eric and Denyse will be crossed off..

really Kristen Alderson?? something can happen with her, if you want

of course Crystal Hunt and Stephanie Gatschet, they were also actresses I thought of..

no problem about the P&G actors, I did love ATWT and GL, even though I was raised as an ABC soap viewer

is their ANY soap that has a worthy gay storyline?? but I will check out McDean

• Members

I was being facetious about Kristen. I've no pressing need to ever see her again. You've assembled a good cast, Cassadine. I've always wanted to see Max Ehrich and Eileen Davidson play a bad-ass mother/son tag team.

With that said, the reason I brought this whole thing up is that American teen shows need a shake-up badly. I'd like a story about breastfeeding, bestiality (Natalie Buchanan's obsession with McBain doesn't count), imagined demonic possession, boy-girl friendships that aren't about romance, a bisexual storyline without the coming out, etc. I also think a continuing drama format would be the best way to present those stories.

• Members

Okay no Kristen Alderson but can I keep Kelley Missal, I love the sibling-like relationship she has with Andrew Trischitta on and off screen..

Of course Max and Eileen would be mother/son.

I am going to sound like a hypocrite but incest (but with a same-sex twist) and rape could be included for stories

Archived