DAYS: May 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finished the week's batch of episodes.. really good quality episodes this week!

1) First off.. I'm loving how inter-connected all the cast is being utilized right now. We are truly seeing more umbrella storylines with characters interacting with each other cross-canvas and that is one thing that makes soap great! This week alone we had great cross-canvas character interaction between Caroline/Nicole, Sami/Stefano, Kate/Gabi, Hope/JJ, Kate/WilSon, Hope/Kate, Hope/Sami, and Ciara/Johnny... It's SO refreshing when characters get outside of their little "bubble" stories..huge props to the writers for this..keep it up!

2) Loving JJ!! I've said before that I have loved JJ since he was born in 2005. I loved the idea of a J/J son and Casey Moss is not letting me down. He is exactally who I think J/J's son would be like. Love him

3) Is it me or is the lighting looking a little bit improved recently.. to me it looked a little bit darker and I liked it :)

4) This is a DOOL truth: Kate + Sami = pure gold.. Good to see them interact this week! Let's keep that going. Lauren and Ali alaways deliver when they have scenes together.

5) Will/Sonny/Nick stories at the beginning of this week were great! Strong acting by all of these young actors!

6)Chad/Abagail... I know Casey may be leaving as Chad.. but I love these two together.. for me - they are the rooting couple in Abby's triangle. I really hope Casey stays.. but if he does leave I really do hope they can find a good recast for Chad.. I like the character.

7) Kristen/Marlena interaction this week = we need more of this! It's gold!! It's what viewers want. These two need to be bitter enemies.

8) Did we see Maggie in DiMansion AGAIN this week for the second time in just a few weeks.. so weird seeing her on that set.. I wonder if it feels odd to her filming on that set... I often wonder that - while I'm sure all the cast are on all the sets from time to time (even when shooting isn't going down) does Suzanne feel a little out of place filming on the DiMera set.. or any other character for that matter who is on a set they are hardly ever seen on?

9) It's such a shame Bryan is on recurring... his scenes with Sami and Kate this week were amazing!!! I won't be opposed to him being on recurring as long as he gets 2 eps/ week or so.. but please utilize this character who we all love!

10) Dare I make this connection? IMO this is probably the best (or maybe 2nd best) week DOOL has had so far this year.. and Daniel was featured HOW much this week? Oh thats right.. he appeared as a SUPPORTING character for 2 episodes... Enough said. :)

• Members

JJ really is a great find. Very impressed so far. But it also highlights how weak Will/Sonny are as characters/actors. Nick and JJ make them look like amatuers playing scoobydoo.

Agree that Kristen and Marlena needs to be at the forefront, not John. The way Drake plays John makes me think he has had major dental work done on his teeth and he is physically in pain. That, plus major constipation.

Marlena saying "I married an action man" is so telling of everything I have always hated about Jarlena. Marlena is the type of woman who needs to be with an alphamale to feel like she is a winner in life. It speaks of the double standard how she pretends to be a modern independent woman when she is in fact subservient to a chauvanistic pig who objectifies her - needs to save her, decide what is best for her. They're the type of couple that have had sex 10,000 times, but never tried anything other than the missionary position. They pretended their love is more special or more superior to any other love that ever existed. I'm so happy Marlena got her spine back this week and ripped him a new one.

Does anyone else smell a rewrite with Jensen? I'm betting Vargas was meant to whack Rafe and do all the other bad stuff this week's promo indicates but the show realized what a find they had in Vargas and decided to not play him beyond redemption. I'm more than ok with that because Vargas has the potential to be a great anti-hero: He reeks of working class brutish violence and sex, something we hardly see on soaps these days and his character as grey is something that opens many possible storylines. It sure beats our supposed anti-hero of jazzhands teapot Dimera.

• Members
Its not just the cops that think EJ did it, but that's not really my point. Im speaking more from a writing perspecting. They are going at this as a mystery and only have two potential suspects, Nick and EJ. Nick makes sense but EJ doesn't. He has absolutely not motive or reason to kill Rafe. He hasn't even had any animosity for Rafe in a while and there most recently interaction was more or less neutral. Rafe is a nonfactor to him and considering how EJ has redeemed himself and changed his ways for Sami, it would make no sense for him to try and kill Rafe out of the blue for no apparent reason. If they really wanted we the audience to question this, then they should have spent the last several weeks building up tension between the two and reigniting the feud, complete with an altercation right before Rafe was attacked to give some weight and validity it. The fact is they didn't so it is indeed eyeroll worthy

• Members

Oh, I don't think they are going at it from a mystery whodunnit perspective at all. I think they are just following the natural pathway of characters' reactions to such an event. Besides, there is no way EJ could have arranged the hit. He only phoned the mystery person to do a job for him for the first time as he left the mansion to go to the pub - there would never have been enough time to arrange a hit, even in Salem. Would be super lame if he did.

• Members

They also have EJ lurking and smirking.

I don't think Jensen is a rewrite, they've been saying since Vargas showed up that he was protecting Nick in prison. Now we're finally seeing WHO he was protecting him from.

• Members

I always took that to mean general prison life, rather than someone someone had already targeted Nick. But I see your point.

tumblr_mn21k3dh5R1r9c8mno1_250.giftumblr_mn21k3dh5R1r9c8mno2_250.gif

Loved Nicole's faux pas

tumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno1_250.giftumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno2_250.gif

tumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno3_250.giftumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno4_250.gif

tumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno5_250.giftumblr_mn21c0miQb1r9c8mno6_250.gif

Oh look - University Hospital has a glory hole in the men's bathroom! How 1990's!

tumblr_mn1nw4ABfN1r9c8mno3_250.giftumblr_mn1nw4ABfN1r9c8mno10_r1_250.gif

So glad she got her spine back!

• Members

I agree, when the first flashback was just of Vargas stabbing Nick, I think they were originally going to use Vargas in a role like this. Glad they decided to make Vargas gray.

I love love loved everything about the week, but this is no surprise since I think DAYS has been great since January aside from a dip when they were rushing to finish the Chloe story. Pretty much everything I loved has been talked about by others already -- jo.frank, SouthOfSoap, Cheap21, KMan101's posts, others -- so I don't have much more to add ...

I'm thinking Kristen won't sleep with John but the picture might still ruin the wedding. I'm hoping the wedding will happen since I love Bristen. I like that Nicole tried to get Eric to go to the wedding for Brady's sake -- good friend to Brady -- but I can also see why Eric won't go ... I'm spoiler-free on all this and intend to stay that way!

Great to see more of Caroline.

I do agree the show is mostly portraying the reaction to Rafe's beating from a character standpoint, and the police are right to suspect EJ because EJ does have motive indeed from the past, which is really not that long ago. I also agree the promo exaggerates the extent to which the show is approaching the story as a whodunnit. However, at the same time, I do think EJ could be behind this -- not because he wants to kill Rafe, but to frame Nick or get Nick out of the way for Will's custody. EJ said things to Sami about how Nick wouldn't be a problem before Rafe's beating that suggested he might be trying to frame Nick. EJ also does seem to know the prisoner guy in some capacity. I think the likeliest scenario is that EJ hired the prisoner guy to do something to Nick but the prisoner guy is going rogue and doing a bunch of other things too.

• Members

Why would he think to frame Nick? Up until recently Rafe has been a supporter of Nick's and they've had no animosity till like just now. I don't see how EJ would even consider thinking that he could make Nick a viable suspect unless Im blanking out on him overhearing Rafe confronting Nick last week? Like the cops said, the attacker aimed to kill Rafe and I don't think EJ would have had Rafe killed just to frame Nick. Maybe the old EJ, but not the redeemed one onscreen today. Roughing him up a bit is as far as he'd have had that taken.

• Members

I still haven't seen Monday's episode, but to respond to your earlier post Cheap21 -- good point, but it's common knowledge that Rafe wants Will to be a part of the baby's life. Nick is the only one who doesn't. EJ knows Nick kept his plan to blackmail Will secret from Rafe. Thus EJ would know that there would be conflict between Rafe and Nick about Will's role in Arianna's life eventually. EJ would know that Nick would want to be the main person influencing Gabi on this.

I agree EJ would not have ordered Rafe to be killed to frame Nick, only a beating -- but the prisoner guy could have taken it further.

But more likely than framing, I think EJ hired the prisoner guy to get Nick out of the way, not having anything to do with doing something to Rafe at all, and the prisoner guy did this Rafe thing on his own though.

• Members

WOW.

Today's episode was EXCELLENT! It's been on fire lately and good for several months save for that Chloe mess, but today was amazing. I don't remember the last time a climax was done on this show where the tension was there, it didn't feel rushed and insane and there were other equally strong story beats -- Sami/EJ, Rafe/Kate/Stefano. Stefano overhearing Kate was fantastic.

I also loved the reveal of Nick being raped in prison coming from Vargas, him also still not revealing he's the one who protected Nick because of their side hustle (I'm really hoping Vargas sticks around!). The Ciara stuff played into it perfectly too, loved Will staying to help Nick and Sonny now seemingly having to deliver Gani's baby.

So excited for this week and the Bristen wedding.

Archived