K-Pop Appeciation Thread

• Members

CHEAP, LOVE YOU!

I so, so miss my peeps in here. Terribly. KNOW THAT PLEASE.

I haven't been able to keep up with ANYTHING that much ;'-(

Guys what do you think of this MV? 8-) I did the editing/VFX!

As for 2NE1's new music...Ijust listened to "Crush" and overall I really love it! The only song I don't like is "Happy" I find it really annoying and I despise the video too. Sorry! Come Back Home...LOVE! I especially love the unplugged version on the album

wub.png

CL's "MTBD" solo also stands out. Love the middle eastern flare

"If I Were You" Gets to me. CL is breathtaking in this. when she ends the song sad.pngwub.png

BIGBANG

Currently ripping the hell out of that Japan Tour DVD YT link! I will be finding some time to watch that in full very soon. Amazing! Miss those dudes. Took a look at the trailer and I so love that Japanese version of "Blue", also TOP's message ;-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Awww, thanks and Im glad you're back as you've been missed! So much has been released in the last couple of months but STILL NO Taeayang album. Yes, Im still pressed about that!

Im not really feeling the song, but great editing. I especially like the shots when she is against that brick wall and the transitions between the scenes

Trust me, I know the feeling. Happy was the only one I didnt like but its grown on me. I read that the girls filmed and performed Crush for the finale of the next season of America's Next Top Model. Good for them! Anything that gives them more exposure over here is great

Its really great, especially their solo stages. Seungri and T.O.P's really stand out to me

4Minute

They also released some music and here is their latest video which I know is sure to annoy you

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Because of the recent Ferry tragedy in South Korea last week, all K-Pop promotions have been postponed indefinitely. Prayers go out to all those affected by that.

Beast, 2PM, EXO

All were expected to make their comebacks in April/May but that may not happen now. EXO at least released some material for their new album/song overdose and it looks and sounds good

BigBang

http://bigbangupdates.com/2014/04/taeyang-solo-album.html

Seriously, this is BEYOND ridiculous at this point. I cant with this nonsense

The boys recently participated in the YG Family Power Tour

cM37fSD.jpg

here's a closer look at his new hair

bhb71e5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

EXO

Overdose has finally been released smile.png

Exo-K version:

Exo-M version:

Beast

Thats the teaser for their upcoming Japanese single called "Adrenaline"

tumblr_n588z73R6j1rvqca1o1_500.gif
tumblr_n5826dz2yw1rvqca1o1_500.gif
LOL
tumblr_n57ottuhTG1s0vgafo1_500.jpg
Seems the guys have followed in BToB's footsteps with most of them going blonde for this new project

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Whoever conceptualizes EXO's choreography (for that video specifically) is the BOMB -- because that whole routine I want to learn! EXO always give good dance.

So obviously all this has been overshadowed by the fact that Kris has left EXO-M and is suing SME (EXO's production company). Asian Junkie has been covering it well since the beginning, but here is their latest post: http://www.asianjunkie.com/2014/05/exo-m-members-an-amusing-sasaeng-report/

I... can see why he left (these music companies are ruthless when it comes to milking their young cash cows to the point of overexhaustion), but I can also understand why the remaining EXO members feel blindsided.

• Members

Hey Cat! I didn't know you listened to K-Pop. I see you have a gif with the SBS logo in your signature...lol. Not sure who that is though or in your avatar

I just learned about the EXO news this weekend and how troubling especially after they made their Comeback following the delay. Im upset about this news bc Kris was my favorite member of EXO-M. Some are optimistic but I think its pretty much a done deal that he's out which is too bad. Ive read about SM having issues with some of their older artists so if true, its too bad they haven't learned their lesson. I think Cube and YG seem to be better when it comes to treating their artists well.

And Yes the choreography on Overdose is amazing! EXO does get the best choreography as the dance moves in all their videos is great. Such a hard feat especially since there are 12 members to worry about but having so many makes it all look that much more neat and complex when its executed. Its sucks that we will never see all 12 members perform Overdose together

No clue what their next single will be but man Id be remised if I didn't say Id love for it to be Love, Love, Love. LOVE it Edited by Cheap21

• Members

I keep watching EXO-M's version in particular over and over again because even though both versions are practically identical, the EXO-M one is giving me everything! Especially when they segue into their suits for the big finale, the move on the chorus of Overdose is ace -- and then one of them (Tao? ) does that amazing front flip. Holy [!@#$%^&*]! To think, we will only see 5 of them perform that killer routine in Mandarin. Because obvs there is no going back for Kris at this point. They say he is into launching an acting career, perhaps he can be the next Mike He (big Taiwanese drama star). And yes perhaps SME will learn their lesson but somehow I doubt it.

I really like Love, love, love. First time I've heard it.

Cheap, I went to Asia in March for work and got into the music and dramas over there. I am wearing out my computer watching all this stuff! My siggy and avatar are of Park Shin Hye and Lee Wan who were in the crazy-tragic Korean melodrama Tree of Heaven which is basically Wuthering Heights but with Korean teens living in Japan. I am tempted to get EXO on there at some point though. Like, Arashi was huge in Japan when I was there (Matsumoto Jun, you hot piece, you), but their songs and dance routines are not a patch on EXO's.

Edited by Cat

• Members

Oh lucky you! I want to go to Korea someday. Im enamored by the culture. I totally get how you felt to be downloading and being all over your computer getting into this stuff as its highly addicting. Just look at me and this thread 28 pages later...lol

IA on the seque into the suits with the EXO-M version. I especially like the transition for Kris (sad.png)Yes Tao is the one that does the flp in the EXO-M version. He seems to be the most acrobatic as he did a similar move in their debut video, MAMA

skip to 4:35 for that

• Members

Kris -- he really was one of the hottest. I love his white suit. BTW, your siggy reminds me of the fast flamenco-claps beat in "Overdose" which is perhaps my favorite part.

And it's so funny seeing how far they have come from "MAMA" in some ways.

I can't believe I didn't go out to the Far East before -- oh, wait, I know why. Because my firm kept postponing this trip for, like, 8 years and because I really couldn't afford to do it otherwise. And I haven't actually got to South Korea yet! I was sent to Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore instead (but am already lobbying to go to Seoul for a work trip, lol).

Still, Korean music and TV is EVERYWHERE out there. Ironic considering that tensions between Japan and Korea are at an all-time high, and yet K-Dramas pull in the ratings and K-Pop is huge. I can see why. K-Dramas are all about forbidden romance and tragedy and huge emotions, and K-Pop goes that extra mile, I think. It is more R n B, the beats and the dance routines are more catchy and extra. K-Pop has really internationalized their music (thanks also to Koreans living in major US hubs like NYC and LA, I suspect) and put their own spin on things (kind of like how Samsung took the i-phone, tweaked it and made it... better?).

Anyway, all this to say that I am now obsessed by it ALL. It is a total addiction. I want to learn Mandarin, Korean and Japanese, like, immediately (currently learning Japanese only because, you know, full-time job and all). If I had the opportunity to live over there for a while, I would in a heartbeat (even though it would be difficult to get to know native Japanese/Koreans/Cantonese at first). Cheap, you are in the Tri-State area, right? Are there opportunities to learn Korean (if you wanted), or do stuff linked to Korean culture and pop culture? I'd say: plan for that 10-day trip to Korea if you can. Doesn't have to be this year necessarily, but save some money, check out some flight deals, go with a US tour group if you have to, then run out and explore Seoul's trendiest areas! Soak up the music! Eat yummy food! Go with any Korean-Americans if you can. At the very least, it would be a unique vacation experience.

Edited by Cat

• Members

I wish. No, Im no longer in NY. Ive been in FL for the past few years. You're lucky that your job gives you the oppurtunity to travel

I tried listening to some J-Pop but I cant really get into it. Too "poppy" for me for lack of a better term. I do like the American influence found in K-pop which makes it feel a bit more familiar. The closest I get to listening to J-Pop is the Koreans that release songs in Japanese but its still very much K-pop, just with Japanese lyrics

I watched one Korean drama, Monstar, all the way through. Each episode was 2 hours long! But it was a really good show and featured Junhyung, from Beast, and he is one of my favorites. His bandmate, Dujun, starred in Iris 2 and I wanted to try that but havent devoted the time to it.

Its not bad. She has a good voice but definetly no Beyonce

This is the song that made me a fan of them. The chorus is amazing and I love the transition between the two groups

Taeyang

EKwkBlj.jpg

FINALLY! I swear Ive been waiting for this album to drop for almost a year and its out in less than 2 weeks,

• Members

Growl is awesome. I love the transitions too and baby-face Luhan snapping his fingers, snapping his head and hoisting his shoulders... who knew he was such a lady killer?!

Yeah Jpop is a little too ballady and cutesy, and I cannot abide the girl groups who are a little too little-girly for my taste. There is KAT-TUN, but even then they look so sedate. Kpop is so much more exciting and inventive next to them! I love their hip hop stuff.

I guess what I like about Jpop is that some of them do really fun J dramas too, and I enjoy those. Matsumoto Jun especially. I will have to check out Beast and Junhyung's stuff, though. Thanks for the head's up!

• Members
I swear EXO confused the heck out of me at first. I never thought Id be able to get their names right. I mean there's 12 of them! For the longest time I thought Kris and Sehun were the same person and it didnt help that these guys kept changing their hair color on me, going from brunette to blonde and back. Plus the way they split up the groups for Growl and Wolf wasnt even by subunit so it took me a while to figure that out

BTW, I dont know if you saw them but theres 2 other versions of the Growl video with an emphasis on the two subunits with new shots

If you are really into the hip hop material, Id suggest checking out BigBang. They are probably the biggest group out there. Their leader G-Dragon has a few solo albums and another Taeyang is about to finally release his second smile.png. I think BB is expected to make their comeback with their first album in 2 years later this summer or fall. Cant wait as its been a long time since they've had new material as a group (each of the 5 members have done solo work in the hiatus)

here you go to get you started wink.png

Edited by Cheap21

• Members

Well, consider me STILL completely confused, because I cannot tell Luhan and Sehun apart!

OK, let's see if I get this right. I am guessing (based on Growl) that Lady Face/Pink Hair is Luhan. Honestly, I cannot take my eyes off him in this MV. Because, obvs.

tumblr_mudwr1OPRG1r869iqo1_250.gif

WHO is this hot piece next to Luhan? Is he the guy in your avatar and siggy? I'm going to go with... Chen of the leopard-print (bwahaha!) in Overdose?

tumblr_mu5bkq45Q11shwedto2_500.gif

Kris is the easiest for me to pick out, weirdly, because he's the tallest and coolest-looking. It sucks that he's left. :(

tumblr_mru3nmxIMo1s68xhdo1_500.gif

Silver Hair. Sehun? I'm starting to think that he's one of the best dancers.

tumblr_n2s8c4Mw4S1rzt6xso7_500.gif

I am told this is Kai. Clearly crazy-hot:

tumblr_mru33q1SUN1ryyvy9o1_500.gif

Tao looks like a diva in the most fabulous possible way:

tumblr_mu28ipOQaQ1s68xhdo2_250.gif

So basically THIS

EXOBattleRoyale-575x432.png

...is ZERO help whatsoever because they all change their hair color every other day!

I have to say I prefer the first version of Growl because of the dancing and transitions.

And thank you for the BigBang MV! I have heard of G-Dragon but have never really checked out a lot of his stuff. Obviously going to now. BTW, Beast looks like they mix a little punk pop in their stuff.