I Am A Swede

The Classic Film Thread

Speaking of James Stewart, John Ford was the most respected director in old Hollywood, winning four Oscars. Everyone says his masterpiece was The Searchers, but while it was very good nothing is better than The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence. This is not a HD copy and it really has some beautiful visuals but I cannot recommend this movie strongly enough. It is a true classic just pop it into full screen and check it out.

<embed flashVars="playerVars=autoPlay=no" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/7909877/o_homem_que_matou_liberty_valence_legendado.swf" width="600" height="338" wmode="transparent" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" name="Metacafe_7909877" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed><div style="font-size:12px;"><a href="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/7909877/o_homem_que_matou_liberty_valence_legendado/">O Homem Que Matou Liberty Valence (Legendado)</a> - <a href="http://www.metacafe.com/">The most amazing videos are a click away</a></div>

There is some little cartoon that runs before the full movie

Just watched Strangers When We Meet (1960) with Kirk Douglas and Kim Novak. Was very impressed with this story of adultery. Although dated in some ways,it still packed a punch. Barbara Rush was terrific as Kirk's wife.She imbued the character with a lot of strength in a role that could have come off as pathetic or needy.

I prefer films from the late 1930s through the 1940s. I know it was the studio era and actors were treated like cattle and whatever, but those movies had story, tension, romance, drama and laughs. The movies nowadays are mostly trash.

I especially love "Women's Pictures" from this time (something that sadly went out of vogue a long, long time ago). Nearly anything with Bette Davis (The Old Maid, Dark Victory, In this Our Life, Little Foxes, NOW, VOYAGER (perhaps my favorite film), Beyond the Forest, A Double Life, and The Man Who Came to Dinner - are all fabulous highlights). Joan Fontaine (A Letter from an Unknown Woman - one of the most heartbreaking films ever) and her sister Olivia de Havilland are two more favorites of mine. One can't go wrong with Joan Crawford either (Mildred Pierce is must see melodrama and Humoresque is glorious too!)

I never really like Katherine Hepburn, however.

I hate going to movies. Every actor/actress are carbon copies of one another and there is just no depth in the story telling. Also, actors back then where more diverse acting wise. Not just talking about Acting/singing/dancing. I am saying they also had more range and ability. I wish movie musicles would come back besides that is what I grew up with.

One thing I love about silent movies is you watch these giant scenes and there was no FX then, they literally had to build these ancient cities and use hundreds of extras. That was when Hollywood was at its zenith and the studios were making magic.

That is why I hate CG effects. It just looks so fake. You look at start wars for instance and compare Yoda from Empire strikes back with Attack of the clones (or any of the prequels) and you see what I mean. When they used puppets they had to pay attention to detail so they would look real. The Yoda, however, in the prequels look cartoonish. When a movie that uses CG graphics first comes out the graphics look real but six months after it's initial release they FX become dated. I do not think its because Hollywood doesn't have the money to pay professionals to make the production look spectacular. I think Hollywood is so tied up with the "famous for being famous" types who have no talent that they are forgetting the real talent.

Recorded the 4 hour Greed and watched parts and finished it in 3 days - thought it was good - however I wonder what the 5 hours cut out was. ohmy.png

Recorded the 4 hour Greed and watched parts and finished it in 3 days - thought it was good - however I wonder what the 5 hours cut out was. ohmy.png

9 hours for a movie is insane

DAMfan   

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) will be shown on TCM Sat Sep 15

Directed by F. W. Murnau

George O'Brien - The Man

Janet Gaynor - The Wife

A young married farmer falls in love with a seductive woman

Winner of the 1929 'Best Picture' Oscar for 'Unique and Artistic' Production, and 'Best Actress' for Janet Gaynor.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (1927) will be shown on TCM Sat Sep 15

Directed by F. W. Murnau

George O'Brien - The Man

Janet Gaynor - The Wife

A young married farmer falls in love with a seductive woman

Winner of the 1929 'Best Picture' Oscar for 'Unique and Artistic' Production, and 'Best Actress' for Janet Gaynor.

I did not realize Murnau came to America. I googled this movie and supposedly it is great.