• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yes.    I was just about to post:

Corrections & Clarifications: An obituary for “Leave It to Beaver” actor Tony Dow was published in error. Dow’s representatives initially confirmed his death to USA TODAY by email after sharing the news in a Facebook post that has since been deleted. USA TODAY has reached out to his representatives for more information.

"Leave It to Beaver" actor Tony Dow, who played Wally Cleaver in the popular sitcom, is in hospice, according to reports, less than three months after he announced that he had been diagnosed with cancer again. 

The 77-year-old actor and and his wife, Lauren Shulkind, put out a joint statement in May sharing the "very sad news" of his cancer diagnosis, though they didn't disclose details. 

Update: The New York Times has reported that the statement Dow’s representatives released to Facebook was inaccurate and he is still alive. In addition to the Facebook post, Variety ran the obituary after confirming the death with Dow’s team. Variety has reached out to his reps again for further comment.

The family’s most recent Facebook message, from his son Christopher Dow, reads, “This is a difficult time. Dad is at home, under hospice care, and in his last hours. My wife and I are by his side along with many friends that have visited. He has a fighting heart.”

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Posted (edited)

Anything you want to share is wonderful. If there is any cast info among the pages, this is what we've come up with so far...

NEVER TOO YOUNG

SEPTEMBER 27,1965-JUNE 24, 1966 ABC

MALIBU BEACH

Chet Brandon...Tony Dow

Barbara Landis (Walker?)...Pat Connolly + Alfie

Frank Landis...John Lupton             + Rhoda

Susan Landis...Cindy Carol (Sydes)

JoJo Porter...Tommy Rettig 

Mrs. Porter...Jan Clayton

Mr. Porter       ????

Alfie Prentiss      David Watson    (discotheque owner) 

"Aunt" Alice Taylor..      Mary Foskett

.Merry Anders

Joy Taylor...Robin Grace

...Jaclyn Carmichael

Rhoda Taylor...Patrice Wymore

Bobbi Wainwright     Catherine Ferrar      +Chet

Mrs.  ___ ___ Walker       Joan Granville

Mr.  ____ Walker        John Crawford  

Tad Walker...Mike Blodgett

Bert  + Joy(roughed her up)  ....Frank James

Marilyn...girlfriend, Chet.; kissed Alfie ..        Joy Harmon

Principal   ?????

Tim ...            + Susan       Dack Rambo 

Vince    ?????   med student

Announcer...Roger Christian

????????

Ivy Bethune

Madge Cleveland         

Norman Palmer

MUSICAL GUESTS

Lynell Ray Bass

Brooke Benton  performed 1/18/66 "Mother Nature, Father Time"

Freddie Cannon performed "What Do I Hear" 1966

Mel Carter

The Castaways

Chubby Checker      12/14/1965

Mike Clifford

The Bobby Fuller Four

Marvin Gaye       12/1/1965

Bobby Goldsboro   1/25/1966   performed "You've Got a Heart"

Leslie Gore

Bobby Kuban and the In Men

The Ramsey Lewis Trio

The Loving Spoonful   12/15/1965

The Miracles      11/23/1965

The Motley Crew featuring Peter Ford

Johnny Rivers

Jimmie Rodgers

Bobby Sherman

The Sunrays

Ian Whitcomb  performed "You Turn Me On" and "Nervous"

The Yardbirds      1/10/1966  performed "I'm a Man"

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Here is the first script that I have received the other day.  Synopsis and photos.

JoJo has had his haircut and submits with dignity, but informs Mr. Layton that the battle is not over yet. Chet and Joy are in the hospital and run into Mr. Walker. Tad is still unconscious. Joy and Chet attempt to comfort Mr. Walker. Mr. Walker lets the two know that he does not appreciate their efforts as long as they will not tell him what they know. Mr. Porter arrives at the hospital and goes to Mr. Walker. Mr. Porter lets Mr. Walker know about JoJo's plight. After they talk, Mr. Walker tells Porter that it is fine that JoJo speaks his truth regardless if it may hurt Tad in the end. Chet and Joy have coffee at Alfy's and discuss that they are happy with the new regime that Alice and Frank have created for them. Chet is disappointed that Joy has not told Rhoda that they are seeing each other and that they need to lead honest lives with everyone including Rhoda. Chet and Joy decide to head to the beach. JoJo arrives at the beach and chats with Joy and Chet. Mr. Porter pulls up at the beach and has good news for JoJo. Porter tells his son that Mr. Walker wants JoJo that he spoke with Walker and Walker agrees that JoJo should speak his truth. JoJo is elated that his Dad spoke in his defense to Walker and realizes that Dad is finally understanding him. The Lovin Spoonful rehearse at the High Dive singing, "Do you Believe in Magic and You Didn't Have to be so Nice". Greg, one of the members of The Motley Crew makes a pass at Joy and Chet comes to Joy's defense. A fight ensues and JoJo is the one that gets hurt. Alfy breaks up Greg and Chet and rakes Greg over the coals with a final warning with his behavior. Greg threatens more trouble in Chet's future.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)

@GymnastGuy thanks so much for sharing this. Although ultimately cancelled, NTY is an important part of soap history for what it attempted.

These scripts give us much more insight into character and story / Hope you will post more.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I read that Conson Studios is where the program was produced.   (although I know that a lot of the show was videotaped on location at Santa Monica Pier)    

Were there other shows produced in the Conson Studios?

• Members

Rhoda, very disturbed about her relationship with Frank, writes him a letter. Frank receives the letter and is very upset about it. Susan arrives home and finds Frank not working. Susan and Frank discuss his relationship with Rhoda as two adults. Susan and Frank decide to go to the hospital to check on Tad and see that Mr. and Mrs. Walker are already there. Susan and Mrs. Walker go in to see Tad and are thrilled when Tad regains consciousness. Dr. Leong checks Tad and fins that he is much weaker. Susan falls apart and Frank takes her home. and gives her a sleeping pill and Susan heads to bed. Alice comes over to see Frank because she is upset after a phone call with Rhoda. Frank talks about his relationship with Rhoda, which clears the air for pursuing Alice. Susan comes downstairs and Alice mothers Susan which impresses Frank. Frank asks Alice to stay for dinner.

I will post all that I received.

• Members

Dr. Leong, Mr. Walker and attorney Preston Mackey discuss future huge damage suit against Tad. JoJo is asked again to compromise his testimony. The pressure is put on JoJo. JoJo resists even when he finds out that Tad's mental capacity after surgery may be questioned. JoJo leaves and Walker tries to back off this kind of pressure, but Mackey points out that they cannot afford not to fight. Rhoda tries to compose a telegram to Frank while on an airplane and then decides instead to arrive unannounced. Frank makes a date with Alice for Saturday night. JoJo comes in pretty depressed about Tad and the testimony business when talking with Frank, Barbara and Alfy. Frank assures JoJo to stand his ground. Alfy and Barbara discuss their loss of guilt at Tad's recovery. Alfy is a little aggressive with Barbara. The Four Seasons perform at The High Dive. Marilyn tries her best to cheer JoJo up.

• Members

Interesting to see Dr Leong in the cast list. Most likely an Asian character/actor which was unusual at the time.

I'm not sure what ABC's strategy was with NTY-obviously targeting the youth audience but limited because of that. Dark Shadows had youth appeal but initially was a more adult serial.