Y&R: More SORASing on the way

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I don't know why people get mad when soaps have people on the younger 20s side play teens when on teens shows people closer to 30 play teens. Look at Blair Redford for example. I never saw him on Y&R but on Passions he was playing an adult Miguel. Now he plays a teen on The Lying Game.

• Members

And he looks a lot closer to 30.

I don't think it's anything new for soaps to cast older actors as teenagers. I do think that it is more glaring now because it's so rushed and most of the characters on the show are written like stupid teenagers, so there's no contrast. When Nick and Sharon and Matt were around, I never thought they looked like teenagers, but I could still buy it because they were that main age group. Now you have people like Phyllis, Sharon, and Nick who are perpetually written as teenagers, even when they're in their 40's.

• Members

Actually I think Corey Monteith looks really good, he passes for late teens/early 20s. As for the grown ass man who plays fellow teenager Puck...he looks older than their teacher.

I think soaps now act like everyone is between 25-40. They all have stable jobs and careers and only spend their days figuring out who they're gonna screw next. There is no multi-generational storytelling. You can show characters who are 10-15 years apart dating and no one calls them out on it, nor is it a sticking point in their relationship. Because every operates as if they're the same age.

• Members

Y&R and B&B are really the absolute worst (I mean, not that there are that many left -- but AMC and OLTL were better about this) with the blended age ranges. It turned into such a mess around 2005, with Jack/Sharon/Nick/Phyllis, and it's become absolutely ridiculous in the past few years.

FWIW, I think the new Fen and Summer look like soap teens. In real life, yeah, they look 20-22, but they look decidedly younger than all the 35-year-olds running around Genoa City.

• Members

Yep, it really is a shame, I actually have an idea for a possibly good gay story that I would have liked to see involving Fen/Scotty and Kyle (thrown in with a few others)

SO basically once Fen has been "introduced" around the canvas for a while, I would just have Scotty come on board (Tyler Hoechlin still being my choice to play him).

Scotty decides to permanently stay In Genoa City, and since Lauren is still afraid for Fen to be living with her and Michael, because of the fear of Daisy (even though that would eventually become non-existent on my part) Fen moves in with Scotty (I actually would make them get along GREAT, and love each other like brothers should, erasing the horrible men with "balls" era that sheffer is bringing on to the show, despite the fact they are only related by Lauren)

What I would bascially make happen (I know this is already a terrible outline) is that Kyle would somehow wind up on Scotty's bad side and start a feud with him. There would just be one thing after another that makes these guys detest one another, one of those incidents being is that he gets so angry at Fen, (who thanks to Kevin gets a job working at Crimson lights) over a wrong order he actually reduces him to tears. (which we find out why later) However Kyle didn't mean to hurt Fen's feelings, let's just say he is angry with Jack, who after finding out he had been helping Victor break up his engagement to Nikki, disowns him from the family (which of course under me would be temporaily).

After some time Kyle eventually finds his way getting on Scotty's good side. They eventually become good friends (By this point i would introduce a girlfriend for Scotty) and spend a lot of time together. Eden, who has been going out with Kyle for a while becomes frustruated that he isn't giving her what she wants as far as their relationship goes. We find out (in a somewhat shocking, but expected twist) that the reason is because Kyle is gay, and has fallen madly in love with Scotty. He confides to Abby (first person i could think of) in this long monologue how he has fallen so in love with Scotty that he can barely stand being in the same room with him without making some sort of move on him, and he actually has dreams almost every night about the two of them making love and being in a relationship. Abby promises to keep his secret. We would then discover that Fen (who overheard everything that Kyle said) is also gay himself but is madly in love with Kyle, but of course he is heartbroken that Kyle is in love with Scotty.

Fen suggesting to himself that the reason Kyle has fallen in love with Scotty is because of how built Scotty is, seeks his big brothers advice. He says he really wants to impress a "girl" that likes "buff" men. So Scotty coaches Fen at the gym (even though being the caring brother that he is says looks shouldn't be the only thing that a girl goes for in a guy etc...) Meanwhile we see Kyle constantly daydream about Scotty (who is completely straight) and some of them are pretty racy and steamy (We would actually SEE THEM (Yes Maria) SEE THEM lock lips with each other even though it's only a dream).

Overtime Kyle and Fen would start becoming closer (even though Kyle is in his 20's and Fen is only 16) They get so much closer that people start questioning their relationship, but Scotty,Lauren and Michael/The Abbotts would be oblivious to what other people are saying)

Eventually Fen would confess to Kyle how deeply in love he is with him, but Kyle still in love with Scotty and because Fen is too young for him turns him down. Fen of course becomes devastated. Kyle,after realizing that it's hopeless with Scotty (who is engage to his GF at this point) decides to look at what he has been missing with Fen and eventually falls in love with him too. They start a secret romance which overtime eventually gets found out by more and more people. Scotty being one of the first to find out, is not angry at his brother about his orientation, but he is upset over the fact that he is seeing Kyle who is much to old for him and too experienced to be with a guy like Fen. It gets worse when Kyle admits he was in love with Scotty for the longest time and this prompts Scotty to acuse Kyle of using Fen, just because he couldn't have his older brother.

So yeah, I know it's not the best but this is the type of gay story that i wish Y&R would do.

I have to admit, i had in mind that they would cast someone who is exactly 16 for Fen when i first thought of this, but it isn't fair to judge how the guy they picked will be. I will also say i had in mind a different actor for Kyle for this storyline (not that Blake Hood couldn't do this) I really pictured someone along the lines like Colton Haynes (also from teen wolf...I promise that's the last actor i will "borrow" from that show haha) playing Kyle for this type of story.

Archived