AMC & GL Alum Comes Out

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, it's become a can't win situation. I do get where some of the annoyance from both sides comes from, but I think it's hypocritical. (There was someone on CNN recently--and she was a well meaning liberal blogger, who mentioned how coming out now is a marketing tool--for a flagging career, etc. She didn't fully convince me though as she mainly used people like Lance Bass who really has had no career--and NSync were on their way out--since he came out, or that country singer who declared she was a lesbian and then sold even less albums, and she freely admitted that in many fields--like sports--there's still very little chance of major figures coming out and seeing it as a career boost. When you're Sean Hayes--and I think it's good he finally came out if kinda silly--you already realized that everyone,m including casting directors had decided you WERE gay and should always play gay and had nothing to lose).

• Members

I think (but this may be the theatre snob in me) it's partly Bomer's ties to theatre that have kept him a bit out of eternally seeking that dream--he mentioned recently how returning to the stage last year made him realize what he loved most about acting-- and seeing you can have a decent career without being Tom Cruise. Of course it hasn't hurt that he does have a sizeably popular show already. And while I'm not sure why anyone would be fascinated with Cooper (who I really did like way back in... Alias I guess was the last time), while his agnet must be still going on and on about howhe's the next massive star, there's no way he could be convinced to come out of the closet--and in this case I don't blame him.

• Members

It's always kind of a joke, because people go on about the importance of coming out, but as the reaction at Afterelton proved, coming out just leaves many people seeing the worst of you and having a long list of complaints. Oh, he's still not really out. Oh, he needs to put his family on the cover of People.

• Members

And then when/if he does put his family on the cover of People not only will it probably do little for his career (frankly, good or bad), but many will complain too. I hope this is just some interim phase society has--albeit if it is, I admit it probably will last a while longer--but. The double irony for me--and I think you've said this too--is there really aren't movie stars (or even stars--even people, love her or hate her, like Gaga) the way there used to be. An a lot of this is due I think to the complete control the studio system had over people. Yet in aspects such as this, people behave (public and industry together) like there are, and these people could be. I do think it's somewhat a positive sign in Hollywood that names really don't sell movies like they used to. Many of the movies are just a awful as ever, but it's been proven that despite whatever success people like Ryan Reynolds oddly have (and they do in the sense that they sell magazines, people talk about them online), they don't sell pictures anymore. Maybe that will make a shift in odds.

• Members

It's just mostly empty hype. Look at the fate of the movies Reynolds had to carry on his own.

There's no glamour in film now. Even the 70's had their own type of glamour - that "edgy" chic. You see the likes of George Clooney hyped in that way at times, but it all feels tired.

i think one of the reasons the Kardashians and the Housewives got a following was a desperation for any type of glamour, even if they wear Versace like Hefty bags.

Bomer probably would have been more suited for the old Hollywood era. You can't see him fitting in to one of those Apatow-esque movies, just as Paul Rudd, no matter how much he tries to pretend he's a frat boy, never has.

• Members

Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly will. He's like Wentworth Miller, far more handsome than anyone has a right to be, whatever he's got going on in his personal life. I wonder if the fact that MB has an established family will help him. I'm not saying it should matter, but I wonder if it does matter.

• Members

I think it does matter--and will in this case. I also reiterate what I said about how now he has refound fame with his theatrical readings and singings and (from what I've heard) Broadway plans have played a part. I don't think Wentworth ever had that. The Broadway community (which is obviously very gay friendly but not nreally any more gay--just more open--than Hollywood) seems to open up a lot of actors. And if he's an out actor playing such a major gay role in such in The Normal Heart--and is openly gay which is almost unheard of in a major studio picture (maybe completely unheard of? This isn't Sean Penn, this isn't Tom Hanks) than that *is* pretty major.

Archived