Tracy Morgan's ugly homophobic rant

DRW50

• Members

I thought Tina Fey's very pointed statement about all the gay people who work tirelessly on their show to make Morgan and the rest look good was excellent. Same with Bob Greenblatt. They were clearly not happy and I appreciated their comments.

I thought the initial apology was horseshit, but the way OTT apologia tour Mogan has embarked upon in the last 48 hours or so has gotten pretty incredible, even by the standards of these things. PSAs, gay teen support groups, etc etc. I'm sure a lot of it is panicking and that he's only sorry he got caught, but still, I find the effort admirable in and of itself. I also read the text of his comments in that Global Grind interview and I suspect that was as thoughtful as Tracy Morgan ever gets.

I don't forgive Tracy Morgan, at all, and I now have a pretty big problem with him, other than the usual issues like the fact that he hasn't been particularly funny in ages. But I also don't get a deeply hateful vibe off the guy - just [!@#$%^&*] ignorant, and perhaps able to change. And I frankly suspect he's carrying a lot of [!@#$%^&*] around about his father, who died of HIV but who Morgan insists was not gay. And of course that's very possible, but when [!@#$%^&*] like this comes up you have to wonder if there's more to that story.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoopi strikes me as pathologically contrarian. She almost always plays devil's advocate.

The real problem with what Tracy said is the fact that it had very little to do with making a joke in the first place. Homophobic guys say [!@#$%^&*] like that ALL the time without an audience or the hope of laughter. People can be VERY ugly when it comes to gays, particularly males in communities where being tough and *manly* is of the utmost importance. Listen to wankstas twist their brains into knots discussing their love/hate of Omar on The Wire.

Archived