AMC: Recent Pic of Kate Collins

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I totally remember Melody's first day too, and there were promos of the fire and Trev carrying KC Nat out (she was probably trying to make herself extra heavy :lol: ). From moment ONE I thought MA was miscast, there was something way too sweet and soft and Nina-like about her. I've said this a million times, but KC had a touch of Montana Moorehead from Soapdish in her with that voice and her stature, Melody felt like a 30-something ingenue. I swear, I almost remember nothing between her first day and her last. She was pretty though.

• Members

I wish I could find that old Weekly I have from January 93 where the Kate Collins fan writes in to criticize SPW for praising Melody Anderson and saying that her portrayal of Natalie was nice and sweet (basically), and that Kate Collins was icy. They went on to say that AMC had various women, smart women like Brooke, conniving women like Gloria, syrupy, dumb women (paraphrasing) like Dixie, and that Kate's Natalie was unique.

• Members

And they'd be right--how ridiculous to praise her for making the character completely different :P I don't blame Melody--she was capable (if not all that compelling)--obviously the writers purposefully wrote her in a different direction--and she was killed within a year (right?) so I guess they realized...

• Members

I still say the thing I miss most about Kate Collins' Natalie was the way she would whip off those earrings to answer the phone.

And I am a HUGE fan of Mattson's Janet and was sad sad sad the day they started writing her off. I liked Kate's first version of Janet (during the well and will murder), but all of her returns get more and more cartoony. Good for laughs, but completely destroys what Mattson did with the character, which was one of the primary reasons I kept tuning in through the nineties.

• Members

I loved that. HA!

BTW, here's a great clip of Natalie & Trevor (and Erica vs. Brooke as a bonus):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmohFhLNAl4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmohFhLNAl4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmohFhLNAl4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nat starts @ 5:48

She kinda looks like Princess Di here.

• Members

I wish they could bring back Janet (sure with Collins) and tone her down a bit. I'd liek to have her as a recurring presence who wasn't just brought on for a "crazy lady bombs people, kills people, locks people in a truck in quicksand [!]) OTT stint. AMC used to do wacky yet relatable characters SOO well, and Opal aside (give the lady a story--you finally have her on contract!) that's sorely missing from the mix.

• Members

I agree, Eric. Opal was what brought me to AMC. I don't agree with Eric about Janet coming back. I'd much prefer Mattson return. I'm OK with Collins returning as Janet, but she needs toned WAY down. Mattson just gave Janet layers.

I remember this storyline; one of the first when I first started. Thanks for clip. Brooke was pregnant with Jamie and no one was supposed to know until she almost fell at a party and Trevor blurted out, "The baby!" or something like that.

Didn't Brooke have Jamie when she and Jackson crashed into a pole when they were trying to avoid being hit by a drunken Arlene and Hayley in the car with her? I remember them making a big deal of this in one of the soap rags at the time, because it was filmed at a Disney backlot outdoors (which was pre-Peapack, LOL and pre-Disney buys ABC).

• Members

I always got the sense that Collins wasn't well-liked behind the scenes period. Let alone the Kiberd fiasco. I can't recall anyone ever talking warmly about working with her or being friends with her outside the studio. This could be for many reasons, but it just always gave me that feeling. Of course, it could also be that she played an icy character.

FWIW, though, I thought she at least deserved a nom for her portrayal of Nat/Janet during the well. (Although she was down there far too long for me)

• Members

She WAS there too long (shades of McTavish's later story problems surfacing early I guess), but yeah that, and the scenes later on where she delivered Janet's baby in the cabin I thought were really well done. I did read some gossip from when Kate first came back about how people found her easier to work with--but I don't think it was more than gossip, although it would make sense that she'd be more relaxed after a break (from acting in general, I think), and in her older age.

Archived