All: Pre-determined pairings that worked

• Members

On ATWT, neither Hal/Babs or Jack/Carly were "pre-determined" by TPTB. Ben Hendrickson was brought on as a day player cop and only slated for a few episodes. Hal became Margo's confidante long before he and Babs became an item.

And Jack was slated for Molly when Michael Park was hired. Maura returned six months after and almost immediately started pursuing Hal. The Carjack chemistry gave Carly's return another layer, but it wasn't planned.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know Hal wasn't brought in for Barbara (I think his first relationship was with that gawky "model" who killed Tad Channing), but since the show did seem to have a story set up for Barbara and Hal I guess I see that as pre-determined.

I remember the time they spent with Jack flirting with Molly and chasing after her, as she was crazy obsessed with Holden. That went on for months. Even the early stuff with Carly was just a ruse.

They also had him go out on a date with Emily when they were trying to figure out where to take her character, before they butchered her with that Tom affair story.

• Members

Going back,Travis and Liza on Search For Tomorrow.It helped that Liza had been recast with Sherry Mathis,so fans didn't associate her Liza with the now dead Steve Kaslo.

But it was a well planned,well told story of a young widow finding love again.

• Members

They tested Jack around aLOT. Not only Em and Molly, but he had a real thing for Samantha Anderson (much to Kirk's annoyance) and they kind of hinted at a Jack/Lily hookup while Molly plotted for Holden.

• Members

That's b/c, he was in tune with the characters' (and actors') personalities, and knew what quality, or qualities, this-or-that pairing would bring out of each of them. He didn't just strip 'em both and say, "Oooh, don't they look hot together!".

• Members

I was going to use Ryan/Gillan as my example when I started this thread but I forgot to include that. They were one of the few examples I could think of, but many good ones have been raised here. Thank you all for your contributions!

Archived