NBC Daytime

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 70's brought a lot of existing shows some degree of critical success.

But when the decade boasts only three soaps that were created & continued to succeed it can't be rated a success even with great ratings.

We're not arguing anything.

You're arguing the ratings.

What I am stating is that there was a plateau reached for better or worse in the 60's that 70's Daytime was never fully able to take advantage of.

And yet at the end of the 60's Dark Shadows, General Hospital, The Doctors, Another World, One Life To Live & Days Of Our Lives all made it through & continued to succeed the decade they were created in.

I'd say the 60's were the best overall, the 70's a mixed bag & the 80's a lucky aberration.

farmers-alamanac1.jpg

...Busy yourself.

• Members

LOL

Dark Shadows was never more than a cult hit ratings wise (as Dan Curtis admitted, if it had been on ABC in the70s it prob wouldn't have lasted its first year). OLTL might as well be a 70s soap--it had under 2 years to go to survive the 60s. The thing is I'm not arguing NEW shows, but the 70s for soaps in general--all soaps. Even huge 60s hits like ATWT never got the money and rating success they did in the 60s that they did in the 70s..

• Members

Yes, a plateau is not defined solely by one area.

So even if Daytime's highest ratings did come from 70's the inability to build on previous decades success & in some ways creatively regress undercuts it.

Your logic is the logic that's not.

Archived