Should GH Have Incorporated Shell Kepler's Death into Storyline?

• Members

So two years ago now, Shell Kepler tragically died of renal failure at only 49.

Most of you will remember, she played the chatty/gossipy nurse Amy Vining (younger sister of Laura), on General Hospital.

I have thought ever since Shell died in real life, that it was most practical to write it into the show. I mean, they will never recast Amy...No one could play her the way Shell did. And, if ochestrated correctly, it could have been a very emotional storyline.

It would have been sad of course, but could have ushered Genie Francis back in, and would really be a storyline that would have to involve many veterans. I think it would be a good storyline, though Guza would probably butcher it.

So what are your thoughts? Should Shell's death have been incorporated as Amy's, as well? Or in that case, do you think it still should?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Considering what has become of GH, probably not. We would have heard that she had secretly been having sex with Luke for years and she hated Laura all along. Bobbie would have sat in the background looking permanently scared. Liz would have shown up as the main representing nurse, and in her grief, had sex with Jason on top of the coffin.

• Members

Lol. yYu guys are horrible! but sadly, prbably right.

In the state of GH now...I dont think it would work well. Which is a shame, because not only will Amy never get a proper "end", but she's NEVER mentioned.

The problem with GH is that when they write vets out, they always KILL them. Which makes it hard for events like this......But, if things hadnt been so butchered with the vets in these past years, it could have been nice.

• Members

As cruel as this sounds, I think Amy Vining's statute of limitations ran out on her relevance to the present GH canvas. The last time I remember seeing Amy was 2002, even before Laura went insane. I don't recall seeing her since, and I've only been a lapsed GH viewer after Kepler's death. I watched pretty much every day from 2000-spring 2008.

• Members

Would be kind of awkward to incorporate her death into the show, since there's really no one on the canvas with any connection to her. I think what they should've done was dedicate the last five minutes of a random episode to Shell by having Tony Geary, Denise Alexander, Jackie Zeman, or Leslie Charleson, or hell, even Genie Francis, appear relating the news of Shell's passing to the audience, and then doing some kind of voiceover thing eulogizing Shell as scenes of her play, ending with a shot of Shell and her years of birth/death. This way they can give the fans some closure without having to go to the trouble of weaving her death into the storyline.

• Members

I think that when popular long running cast members die,the shows should present some kind of tribute.

GL did a nice tribute to Mary Stuart,as much for her role on SFT as her then current role of Meta.

When Barbara Berjer passed,it would be nice if say,ATWT,had presented a photo at the end and a list of her soap credits,as she had been a part of the P&G family pretty much continuously since the late 50's.

In most cases,a photo or short video at the end of an episode would suffice.

• Members

But I think that's the difference in the conversation. I definitely don't disagree with acknowledging Shell Kepler's death with a memorial plaque or even a reel at the end of an episode. Kepler was absolutely a part of the show's iconic past. But to kill off Amy Vining? To write an episode about the death of a fictional character who has no ties to the canvas any more? To me, it would be the equivalent of killing off Blackie Parrish today. Who would be there on the canvas to make this character's death mean something?

• Members

The only ones I could see are Monica, Bobbie and Luke. Lucky and Nikolas to a smaller degree. They'd probably have to manufacture some past relationship between her and Liz, Lulu Carly, nd Robin and I guess they could do it for Epiphany as well. It would pretty much be a bunch of people who most likely came across her over the years but didnt or barely interacted with her on screen. Hardly seems worth the effort

• Members

Amy was Lulu's aunt so that wouldn't be too difficult. I believe Carly's earliest scenes on the show were with Amy. She was a student nurse at the time and Amy wasn't a big fan.

I wouldn't mind seeing something, but after Ruby's memorial, which somehow became all about Lucky and Liz telling us how much they loved each other for the 50000th time, I don't expect anything great. Actually I will be surprised if they ever mention Amy again. If they do, it will be to tell us she was selling hospital drugs to kids on the playground and Jason saved the day.

Archived