The Soapgeist 2/1/10

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know I am next to alone, but I found Days a lot more fun under JER than what we have now. I used to watch faithfully and now I store up a week's worth of episodes and skim for anything that looks interesting. I can't believe the baby stuff is still going on. I no longer care if Sami gets her baby back, and I have to be honest, after a year solid of AZ being on every day I am not so eager to see her return. It's been a vacation.

• Members

It depends on the era of DAYS. I thought Reilly's first stint was fun. I can see where people enjoyed the SSK story on his return. Stuff like Shawn in the cage, Mimi "punished" by God for having an abortion, Melaswen, Jack dying 50 times? I thought most of that was unwatchable and at times very sick and soulless; even Reilly didn't seem to have his heart in it.

• Members

Do you mean his term starting in 2003, to? I agree with you then. It was the only time I got to watch his writing anyways...I found DAY's to be A LOT more interesting in those times, and more familiar. A lot of bizarre and freakish things happened, but I remember being so excited to get home from school everyday, just to watch DAY's lol! Nowadays, the show is good...but it's very unfamiliar from what it used to be, very new and fresh, there are a lot of new characters and somehow the show has made it work!

And if you didn't mean his term in 2003 to, then I feel really pathetic for typing up that paragraph, LOL.

• Members

I loved all that stuff. Melaswen was like some old saturday matinee serial with force fields and magnetic floors and Jack (or was it Jennifer) dangling off a cliff, and John about to be sucked into a giant fan and shredded to bits. Also, stuff like Marlena in prison, Jan Spears and the cage, Sami becoming Stan...it was all so goofy and a sense that anything could happen (including giant tidal waves) and usually did.

These days it seems like while the drama is more serious, nothing much happens. There just seems to be no joy to DOOL anymore, no willingness to be insane. Other than Vivian and Victor, all it is is various pairings and a neverending discussion about one particular baby. I just know I watched it daily back then, and now I can't think of the last time I said to myself "I have to see what happens next".

• Members

I think a show should only try to be crazy if they can back it up. Just throwing random moments of insanity because you don't want to end a storyline, which was what I felt was most of Reilly's second era, can drag.

I guess I prefer more low-key stories with some drive and occasional humor than what I saw as empty stunts which slowly sucked the life out of every character. And there was a real sadism in some of the stories which put me off, especially that Mimi abortion story, and Chloe with the face scar.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Certainly a lot of people loved that era of the show.

• Members

I loved the Chloe story. The scene at the airport with Brady racing to the tarmac screaming "Chlooeeeee!" as her plane was ready to taxi was like something out of some old, bad movie from the 1940s. And rather than sadistic, the way it was Brady's true love that magically cured her scars was sort of sweet in a fairytalish way, as was the villain of the piece failing miserably and 100%. The good guys won, the badguy lost, and at least while JER was there the lovers lived happily ever after. There was no corny element JER shied away from, which for me was part of the charm. And the best episode I recall from that period was the last episode of 2006 where Patrick took Hope hostage, and sure enough she went into labor and he had to deliver it, meanwhile EJ was shooting John and Lucas was being trapped in a cave in. It was like a seaon finale to Dynasty, I was transfixed.

• Members

Was the stuff with EJ shooting John after JER left?

The good guys did win, but then they were barely oncamera before they left. Most of what I remember is Chloe going on about how she was now worthless because she didn't have her looks and she had to stay away from Brady, and Nicole sneaking into the hospital, and all the rest.

I think if I was more of a Kyle Lowder fan I might have enjoyed the story more.

• Members

I think Days is better than second-run JER at the moment. JMHO.

And can we stop putting Maurice Benard in the Top 5 Best Actors? His scene holding Dante at gunpoint was adequate but I don't think he deserves an award for finally knowing his lines. Yesterday's episode showed him back in PhoningItIn mode. The only time he perked up is when Sonya Eddy gave him a look.

• Members

Same. I had high hopes in '99 when they got rid of Taylor, ended that Princess Gina nonsense, brought in Fay Wildman as Nicole and Brandon's mom, brought in Deidre Hall's real-life twin and SORASED Brady as a Marlena antagonist... but then it all got messed up again.

• Members

Exactly. Then the 2000's were full of Teen Invasion, Aliens, Plot, Shock & Awe that wore off, Murder Murder Murder than was never real, Cartoon type antics, Chemistry less pairings, Cousin Incest, and so much more i cant even get into.

Even the good drama... Lexi as a real DiMera, Ej as a male Sami, the start of the SSK, and whatnot were all ruined down the line.

This may not be the best Days has been, there have been some peak times offer the past 15 years, however i do think this is the best the show has been consistently for a two year period. Its not even settling. The show is good on its own, its just so much better compared to previous years & current other soaps.

Archived