Soaps and Nazis

• Members

I remember that quote from Waggett's book, but I've never seen that clip either. Of course I can totally imagine just how Erica would say that, so perhaps it doesn't even matter. :P

Maybe the writers have good intentions by making nazis cartoonish, played by OTT actors with awful accent work, but to me that's even more insulting. Let's not shy away from the pure evil, not to mention the fact that there are still audience members out there who are Holocaust survivors with firsthand nazi experience.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See? "Nazi gold." The juxtaposition of those two words alone comes across as ridiculous. If you wish to tell a story about treasure and nefarious treasure hunters, then do it. But, if you want to tell a story about a faction of individuals who have inflicted pain of all kinds for decades upon others in the name of "racial purity," and whose legacy of hate continues to shape and influence not just their lives but the lives of their victims as well, then do that. Don't try to combine the two, thinking Nazis alone can't make for compelling drama; or that the only people who look for gold are those who also hate Blacks, Catholics, gays, Irish people, and anyone else who isn't "pure".

Archived