Soap Operas on soap opera boards

soapfan770

• Members

So I figured this was the best place to post as today I heard on another board a name that I haven't heard in a awhile: [s.W.S.N.B.N.] or [!@#$%^&*]-Boof! Which got me thinking how so many soap boards have better soaps play out there than on TV:

--The above madness involving the one time Days writer and a teenager pretending to be one time GL writer Todd Strasser that spiraled out of control on both the SON and WOST boards

--Posters Juppiter and the obese Mike H calling a faux copyright complaint against WOST.

--A WOST poster who allegedly stalked Scott Holmes

--On an old Passions EZBoard, one poster who claimed to be Jesse Meltcafe eventually broke down and said it was all lies

--On the defunct GL Question Corner one poster became moderator with the hidden agenda of eliminating people they didn't like.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We can't say her name, but it rhymes with Mola Moof. She was an African writer, who as Eric mentioned had a forced relationship with Sadaam or something like that. I'm a little hazy on the details and how everything went haywire, but she was a writer for DAYS and regularly gave explosive interviews to WoST. It caused a huge stir which caused her to lose her job at DAYS. I believe she ended up only being credited for one episode. Then she moved to Y&R during the LML and had written a story bible and was brought in by LML to help make the Winters storyline more authentic. Her bible included a story where Lily falls in love with a black boxer who would be at odds with Neil. I completely forgot everything else that was in it. I recall the ideas overall sounding decent. I know she had a very over the top, but exciting story for DAYS that would've re-ignited the DiMera family, but actually include Lexie this time. I believe someone was going to throw battery acid in Lexie or Celeste's face.

Then with the crazy interviews and I believe there were some lies or rumors of her being a fraud, so she became blacklisted on the boards and such. It was a crazy time, but I do wish she'd gotten her hands on a soap. I believe she was connected to OLTL as well. I recall an episode was written by a woman whose name was the same as a character in Mola's book. Seemed people wanted to work with her at various soaps, but the Sadaam stuff and explosive interviews were too much.

ETA:

From her website:

"I learned English as a kid by watching soap operas. "Days of Our Lives", "The Doctors" and "Another World". Later I watched "Young and the Restless" and "All My Children" a lot, but I was really an NBC girl. Because I'm a writer, I love watching the mechanics and rythms of how soap operas are put together. It's always fascinated me. I think there was enormous literary merit in the writing of Agnes Nixon, Harding Lemay, Douglass Marland, Henry Slesar. I study soaps when I watch them, and that was a shining moment in my life that shocked me---being hired to write for "Days of Our Lives", a show that I learned English watching. I'm very proud to say that I wrote for a soap opera."

Article on her DAYS run and scandal: http://www.soapcentral.com/days/news/2006/0717-boof.php

• Members

It wasn't Saddam, it was Osama. ;) I remember quite a few conversations with her on the boards about the poor reflection of blacks in soaps, what we were hungry for, throwing out ideas... what I really jived with her on was her desire to see more black characters with "flavor", not stereotyping by any means, but (without me getting too deep or sounding offensive at this hour) just injecting black characters with a certain intangible black sensibility, a quality that the large African-American soap viewership would undoubtedly identify with and appreciate. She also had some fun ideas for AMC, but she was always careful not to share ALL of her good stuff in case she actually got hired and had the chance to run with some of her stories.

She and "Strasser" were buds, I don't even want to get into all that, but what soapfan said is it in a nutshell.

• Members

Regarding [s.W.S.N.B.N.] I dug up a couple of ancient threads that should tell the story:

Indeed the faux copyright complaint was titillating. In April 2006 right after Brian the webmaster had an interview with Don Hastings, he got two copyright complaints from the MPAA and P&G. Brian immediately shut the site down and began investigating the complaints. When Brian contacted both of them, it turned out neither complaints were legitimate. Instead it had been a hoax presumably orchestrated by two members based on someone discovering discussion of the two of them doing such a thing on Wikipedia(of all places) Did I also mention Brian got the complaints on April 1st?

• Members

soapfan... that's fascinating as hell. All this drama goes on while I was over holding court at the boring SONY board! :lol: Man, a fake copyright complaint... that's some SLICK stuff. The WOST board was great while it lasted, but toward the end, Brian would throw these tantrums, and did some things that I felt very uncomfortable with, so it doesn't surprise me that someone got pissed enough at him to retaliate, but DAMN, that's sneaky and mean.... so in the end, SON seems to be the best place for me. Thank God there's a board that doesn't consist of 60 posts a day, saying "So and so SUCKS". you can have intelligent, indepth discussion.

• Members

Hey Guys...

In all fairness to Jupitter and Mike H, it was never actually proven that those guys initiated the whole copyright deal. They were, however, pretty outspoken in various places on the net about their dislike of "pay to play" at WoST.

As for my "tantrums", I basically gave back a lot of what I got. Large numbers of outspoken people, myself included, generally make for an interesting mix just about anywhere you go on the net. :) I have no hard feelings against anyone and, in the scheme of things, much of what went on was pretty silly. Except for one thing...

For me, the biggest "scandal" at WoST was more personal... it was when I was harrassed to the point of actually having to contact law enforcement about a certain individual in early 2007. Fun stuff. He's actually still around, by the way...

• Members

Yeah, in retrospect, alot of it was silly, and I'm an outspoken type myself, so you're right about outspken people making an interesting mix. But Brian, I still maintain that alot of headache could have been avoided if you'd just taken my suggestion and made the "pay to play" a nominal fee, like 5$ a year, and kept the message boards free. Nobody would have blinked twice at that.

• Members

I thought the fee WAS pretty nominal :lol: , like thirty bucks? For all of that classic material that was well edited/packaged/remastered, I think it was more than worth it. And iirc, there were so many of us who became members that we never had to drop a cent again, the funds carried the site through for it's remaining three years or so. But it's all about where and how people choose to spend their money, and that's their prerogative. I know folks have spent a lot more on adding dvds to their collections or through tape trade, honestly, I think if the message board element hadn't been so intrinsic to the site or if it was pay from the jump, it wouldn't have been such an issue. I think the shift felt "personal" for many, like being told that you had to chip in in order to play on one of your favorite playgrounds. Yet if you love the playground so much, you do what you can to ensure its future. This wasn't about making money for Brian, and I think most people understand that, but *just sayin'* for the record.

I agree that with YouTube, the idea of WoST being a pay site doesn't exactly jive with our current sensibilities. But AT THE TIME, YouTube was new and there wasn't a lot of classic material being uploaded. Plus, there was a sense of community there, and you know, it's all about the presentation. It was exciting to log on on Fridays and Holidays to see what Brian was going to surprise us with. So there's something to be said for the overall experience that WoST provided. But man, did it ever attract some crazies in its day. Not that many crazies really, but the handful of them had enough crazy for a few people... and sometimes they WERE a few people. :wacko::P

Archived