Lady Gaga — The Fame Monster

Sylph

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a classic tale of today's musicians. First the media incessantly, obnoxiously praise you and talk about you, and then the next - you're yesterday news.

But very true - it's all a recycled sound, heard a million times over the years.

• Members

What bothers me about Gaga and some others like BEP is that their music is so dated. I listen to lots of music out of the UK and the UK was doing this stuff years ago. It bothers me when I see the limited success British artists were having with the same sound here in the US, then Gaga or BEP or Kanye say it's cool and it's a hit!

• Members

I disagree when it comes to gaga. She's been clever at taking catchy music of a very mainstream (albeit dancey) style packaged in a pbhony "avant garde" look. She's brilliant at that--peopel who find her pretentious I think fail to ecognize that everywhere she's been up front about the music she rips off, she does ridiculous outfits but never pretends they mean anything, etc. So in a sense they're falling for her hook line and sinker--and it's worked for her worldwide. Popstars should divide audiences. If her new single is any evidence, the quality of her work is still consistant--and there's barely any other star who works as hard as her in the music business right now--if you see her schedule, doing a concert in England then promo in Japan the next day, then the US no one can argue she doesn't work at it.

As a big fan of UK and Swedish (I know) pop I do sorta get your idea Chris, but Gaga did first break in Canada and Australia and then the UK before the US--she's just been savvy enough to get Americans who usually, ever since disco sucks, avoid dancey work (there's usually like one major dancehit on US radio a year) to like it--actually finally the US pop landscape is veering from RnB more to dance which suits me fine

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

<object width="500" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACm9yECwSso&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACm9yECwSso&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACm9yECwSso&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

• Administrator

That is one of the best videos I've never seen. It's so visually stunning. And that polar bear gown and sphere thing is so damn cool - on SNL she was singing as the sphere's rotated....again so freakin cool. I love Gaga's music too.

Got any suggestions? If it's not on the radio, I probably won't hear it.

Then they got to market themselves better? Or get a catchier song?

• Members
Annie. She's a Norwegian Pop Singer.

And, as much as I've grown to love Lady GaGa, Annie is just way better and way more catchy than GaGa.

She's more known to club auds for "Chewing Gum" and her timeless 1999 tune, "The Greatest Hit." I recommend downloading Anniemal and Don't Stop(both the Island leak and the 2009 release). Those albums are great fun.

• Administrator

Thanks BC, not bad at all. See, like how was I suppose to know about Annie if her stuff didn't come to North America playing on the radio. How do guys get exposed to non-North American artists if you're living in North America?

• Members

College Radio, Friends, Clubs, TV Shows.

I think mainstream radio(for the most part) is complete and utter crap. To me, it seems like the same 20 songs are playing on a constant loop. I officially gave up the summer of 2005, when I had my cable package extended to include SOAPnet and all I ever heard was "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 on VH1 MegaHits and MTV Hits. Not to mention hearing that song on the radio.

I think the fact that Lady GaGa did catch on with the mainstream is one of the biggest reasons why I didn't give her a fair chance in the beginning. I think she's great in her own right, despite the fact that she is very overexposed and overplayed.

It sounds elitist and close-minded, but I seem to think most people who like mainstream, "what's on the radio" stuff are very musically inept. Those are the people who tend to go to parties and say that all electronic music is "techno" and beg the host to change the music to "something I will know."

I also look at music from other decades. I love mid-to-late 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

This entire decade, for the most part, has produced some of the most unoriginal, uninspired music ever.

• Administrator

Ah okay. I usually find new acts from tv shows too - One Tree Hill is a good source for that. Instead of background music playing, the have songs playing.

I've been listening to mainstream radio all my life, so I don't mind is songs are "overplayed" - I think it just means people are requesting to hear the songs.

Yeah that is pretty elitist and close-minded! :P I listen to the radio. :)

Luckily I don't know anyone who would do that, but yeah, that is pretty annoying if it happened.

Same here.

I don't really care that much for "original" or "inspired" - I'll like if it's good (according to my taste), or catchy (and easy to sing too), or has a rhythm that I can dance too. I'm not that picky when it comes to music.

• Members

Guiding Light gets alot of sh!t for their crappy "soft rock" music, but I discovered Kyler England's stuff via GL(They played "No More Sad Songs" during a scene with Josh and Cassie) and I think she's great. Her acoustic "Simple Machine" is fab.

Also, I discovered P.J. Harvey through her appearances on Leno and Letterman with John Parish. Their tune, "Black Hearted Love" was chilling, dark, and beautiful. But you'll never hear it on mainstream radio because it doesn't have a catchy hook, nor is it a song wrapped up in a gimmick.

I guess it's just a matter of taste. Alot of what is played on the radio now is awful. There definitely needs to be more variety in mainstream radio. There's no reason why I should have to hear Poker Face once every thirty minutes. That's pathetic.

You should check out college radio sometime, if there's a station where you are. It would open you up to new music acts and you'd discover the bands before their sellout stage.

What has happened to Coldplay is unforgivable. And I discovered them during "Rush of Blood."

We will never agree. It's all a matter of taste.

I think we should all make a rec list for you. I may PM you some acts from all decades that I enjoy and see what you think. There's way better stuff to shake your ass to than Rihanna and Sean Kingston.

Archived