Lady Gaga — The Fame Monster

Sylph

• Members

I worked for a top 40 radio station a few years ago, in fact the biggest top 40 station in the US, and I can tell you requests from listeners factor in very little as to what they'll play. They have format programmers that pick the songs they'll play, not necessarily what's big with listeners. Also, how much the record label decides to promote it and do promotions with that station or format plays a big role. It's a pretty rigged system.

If anyone follows music charts, like I do, you'll notice a lot of the times the most popular songs in radio airplay aren't necessarily the same songs that people are downloading on their owns to comprise the digital download charts.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You could try researching the music charts from other countries to see what's big worldwide. I frequent the UK a lot, but I also keep up with the UK music charts, and from there, I'll see what's popular and download or YouTube it to see whether or not I like it.

There's also a variety of music forums out there with download sections with artists from all around the world. I believe I've sen Chris B on a few of them I frequent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well there was a screw up and ALL copies of the album (at least in N America) both the one disc EP and the two disc edition with The Fame shipped with the censored disc--which for some reason even censors "bitch" in Bad Romance (I thought bitch had slipped into "ok" vocabulary--soaps have no probs with it). VERY annoying. Cherry Tree Records or whoever says they will remedy this but I doubt that means senseing out the corrected actual disc to people who bought it already. (It's funny for this to happen with Gaga of all people)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I bet she'll be a flash in the pan, everything about her seems so forced and calculated.

She apparently comes from a very wealthy Italian-American family, I recently saw some pics of her with her high school friends all dolled up going to her high school prom. So much for "not fitting in" and "always dressing different" and "being the total misfit" crap she likes to spew in interview after interview.

There's no real message or humour to anything she does, and I've yet to see what she's doing that's so "unique."

• Administrator

Have you seen her performances? They are :o and amazing - the costumes, the sets...like the VMA set, or when she's on this huge ass/tall piano at some British TV award, the AMA's when she's smashing the liquor bottles on the piano while continuing to play on it. And those are the only ones I've seen. I really appreciate all the effort she gives in her performaces. She's just not on a stage singing....She puts on a show and a damn good one.

• Members

Oh, her presentation and performances are good, but talking strictly about the music, the stuff she does has been done a million times and perfected by a variety of artists who aren't getting any mainstream exposure. I hate when people act as if her music is anything new or daring, because it's not.

There's something I find very contrived about trying too hard to be be "different" and I think it definitely shows with her. I end up more on the rolling my eyes side than on the impressed side. But I've always been too critical when it comes to things. :lol:

And I don't get all the "new Madonna" comparisons. Madonna had a lot of humour and defined messages at her peak, even if she did take existing underground trends and package them for the mainstream (which I guess GaGa is doing these days). However, I find GaGa to take herself and her "art" a little too seriously, when she knows her music isn't anything new. But that's just my impression.

Archived