Y&R Casting news!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never really cared for any of Phyllis's backstory before she got to Genoa City to be explained. I really could care less about her getting any sort of family.

Phyllis has become such a lost character, especially being in that putrid relationship with Nick. That relationship has sucked every ounce of personality out of that character dry, and Michelle Stafford knows she can phone it in as much as she wants when she's with Morrow, because he's just as lazy. Phyllis is all about Nick these days, unfortunately, and I have no doubt he'll be a major part of this story too.

Stafford started 2009 on a comeback trail acting-wise, but now, it seems she's back to her 2006-2008 gigly heffer routine of smiles and kisses.

• Members

Phyllis had lost Daniel.

In the chaos of her life, and looking for a new start, among many things, she bedded Jack Abbott (on the floor of an apartment, actually).

Then, shortly after, she left town.

Alone, with no job and no life, she discovered that she was pregnant.

Feeling unworthy as a mother, with no job and no prospects, alone in a strange town, clinically depressed, Phyllis gave up the girl she bore...Jack's daughter. It felt to her like an acto f selflessness to compensate for the selfhishness that had defined all of her years with Daniel.

Phyllis actually maybe even sold the child...got money for her...and with that she went back to school and became the exquisite webmaster/computer expert that she was when she returned to Genoa City the last time.

Later, after they were married, you'll remember her desperation to have a child with Jack, and her despair when she lost the baby and learned she could never safely have a child again. (Never mind that she actually had Summer later). We all assumed the backstory was that she wanted a 'second chance'...to make up for losing Daniel. But maybe the backstory was richer...and included the child she had with Jack and gave up because she did not believe in her own mothering.

This backstory would place the daughter she gave away -- Jack's daughter -- at an age less than Daniel...but maybe as little as 5 years younger than Daniel.

Spec scripts. It's what I do.

• Members

Seriously, no one even thought about the Patty Williams character for years until this regime. The Baby Switch I could buy as being predictable, but the Patty Williams twist is no mere coincidence IMO. I don't think the writers were that clever or that interested in previous character histories to think it up. Period. They made that up as they went along.

My theory is that Mary Jane was always supposed to be the skin cream victim, Emma.

• Members

I thought she was supposed to be Mari Jo Mason.

Cashton...enough time has passed. Can you finally reveal why Y&R got in touch with you right after you floated your "Patty Jane" hypothesis?? Or can you at least assure us it had nothing to do with Patty Jane??

Archived