Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members
Posted (edited)

Exactly, but it is surprising how often it occurred.

Someone always pops in to say when their favorite went to a new soap, they followed them.  But, anecdotes are not data, and it rarely equaled ratings, or creative, success.  

I'm not talking actors simply switching shows, but specifically stunt casting from a cancelled show. 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I guess in some cases it wasn't a direct move. Ricky Paull Goldin had had a stint on Y&R not too long before he joined GL, so that might have had more impact on his casting. Marcy however was directly tied to SB, due to JFP. I am half-surprised they didn't try to do any of those cute ads like NBC did with actors from other soaps joining DAYS/SB. (I wonder if they did one for Denise Alexander and AW or if she said hell no)

• Members
Posted (edited)

It also coincided with Sherilyn Wolter's casting as George a few years after her stint on SB.  Is that the gender swapping issue that you were thinking of @DRW50?  Obviously, she wasn't in drag, but the story was centered on the idea that she had a traditional male name..

Edited by j swift

• Members
Posted (edited)

That may be it. 

(I'm ashamed to admit I was rooting for George when she was brawling with Lucy)

I remember some story with Buzz living in a rundown house and having stolen money (I think) and being feverish, and Bunny was Nadine's boyfriend, but he was bad and out to get Ross. I thought somebody was in drag but maybe I was just so busy fast forwarding at the time I took a sight the wrong way.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

You're not thinking of Brent/Marion, are you?

And Beth Ehlers absolutely does not count in that grouping. The only reason she went to AMC was because she was promised a romantic re-pairing there with Ricky Paull Goldin & she deserted a sinking ship, not a casting after a show was canceled. GL had not been canceled yet when RPG went to AMC & Ehlers followed him. 

• Members

Not drag, but for part of the story Buzz is hiding out in an abandoned house and in disguise as a homeless person. The story was that Paulie Hardman had just been released from prison after doing time for a robbery and some of the money was never recovered because he had buried it in the park. Since the police were keeping an eye on him, Paulie convinced Buzz to dig the money up and Buzz took a cut and started spending it, not realizing that the money had been marked. When she realized that the police were onto Buzz, Nadine tried to help him by finding the money and flushing it before the police could find it, but that just left Buzz in the position of not being able to return the money when he was finally caught and he ended up having to enter into a repayment plan with the government in order to avoid jail. This eventually leads to him and Nadine going on Soul Mates because he wants to win enough money to pay off the debt. Ross was involved in the story because he had been the DA who put Paulie in jail and Paulie was out to get even with him.

• Members

Thanks. I did enjoy the chemistry between Justin and Jean Carol, even if we were never meant to (Jenna/Buzz was the favorite). 

So the show had two stolen money stories a few months apart. I wonder if Buzz ever went to Tangie to ask for any tips.

• Members

I never found Jennifer that interesting, I sure didn't need her to return. Between a recast Morgan or Amanda, Amanda would seem the better choice. They could've set up a Vanessa/Matt/Amanda triangle, starting with reigniting the animosity between Vanessa and Amanda, who never did get along while they worked at Spaulding. They could've worked Ross and Josh into that, playing off a long established history. I mean, anything would've been better than what they gave Toby Poser to play.

It just never felt authentic that Vanessa would worry about her age or looks. Especially when Maeve aged so gracefully over the years. She and Collen Zenk must be related. 

• Members

Tangie's stolen money plot ended with her and Bill trapped in the burning lighthouse, so I'm not sure she's the person to ask for tips - although, on the other hand, at least her money wasn't marked, judging by how liberally Bill was able to throw it around after he found it.

Deas and Carol had chemistry, but I find it hard to root for them because Buzz always treats Nadine so shabbily. 

• Members

I agree - Buzz treated her like garbage. I did like the actors together but not the writing.

Probably not tips, but maybe a "why are we both in shitty stories about stolen money" scene. 

• Members

I did soap hop so I'm trying to remember any time that I switched to another soap because of an actor and I can't think of one. It was usually because I got bored with a soap and I heard about a storyline on another show.  As much as I adore Colleen Zenk Pinter, I didn't start watching YR recently. I have no memory of Marcy Walker's time on the show storyline wise except I thought her full name was Tangerine and that she and Robert Newman presented the emmy to Susan Haskell for supporting actress. As a young kid, I bailed on GL when Maureen left the cabin. I kept up a bit through plot summaries, but it was not until Brett/Marian that I actually watched episodes. 

My mother adored the Kyle/Reva pairing and always disliked Josh for coming back. I don't think she was watching the show when Rosh/Jeva were first a couple. I suppose that's why I always picture Ron Raines as Alan because he's the Alan I'm most familiar with.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I think we all do that to a degree. For whatever reason, whenever ATWT's Dan Stewart is brought up, I picture John O'Reilly in the role, even though he wasn't the original, or the actor in the role later when they killed him off. 

I never felt bad for Nadine. She was always manipulating someone to get what she wanted. I just watched the end of 1990. I'd forgotten how bad Billy's drinking got, and that at one point, Nadine wanted Harley's help in pushing Josh and Vanessa together to get Vanessa out of her way. And that's after Billy's already stewing about the idea, and says he'd kill either him (Josh) or them if something did happen between them. 

Nadine's not outright evil, but she's consumingly selfish.

Edited by P.J.

• Members

Friends of Jill weren't a precedence for GL. Go back a decade earlier to Gail Kobe bringing on a bunch of actors from Texas, ie. Beverlee McKinsey, Jay Hammer, James Rebhorn, Harley Jane Kozak, Michael Woods.